Stainless steel - possible to solder or weld?

You can weld SS using a MIG and SS wire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes.

Reply to
Jim

Google "silver solder stainless steel"

Reply to
newshound

Generally, yes, but some grades are more difficult than others. For soft soldering 304 stainless steel, I always used a flux comprising 50% concentrated hydrochloric acid, 25% Bakers Fluid and 25% water.

Reply to
nightjar

gareth evans explained :

I have had success with a very aggressive flux, as used by plumbers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Ta.

What it is, I got one of those nifty devices for opening a boiled egg where you throw the weight down onto the steel cup and it severs the shell with a nice circular break.

No more irritating bits of shell in your teaspoon when eating the egg!

But ... after less than a year, the throwing down of the weight has caused the steel cup to detach.

One of these ...

gareth evans

Throw it down? Or just let it drop? Presumably having done that on can insert a knife and effect a horizontal cut?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I found that mixing a powder that we used for silver solder and brazing into a slurry with water, cleaning off the SS, applying the slurry and leaving for an hour enabled silver soldering or brazing. I made a cage out of SS strip that could hold a 1.5 li water bottle on the bike (I had 3 bosses on the down tube). The cage withstood probably over a

100 kmiles of touring, so the joins are pretty good.
Reply to
PeterC

Even by my standards that's a gadget too far :-)

Quick chop with a knife does it here.

Reply to
RJH

Concentrated phosphoric acid is a good flux for soldering stainless steel and doesn't leave a nasty residue. John

Reply to
John Walliker

Throw it away and buy some more from ChinaChinaChina.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What sort of stainless steel there are many alloys called stainless steel and some are even ferrous but still do not rust or stain. I know cos I have a magnet. Grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Are there any stainless steels that are non ferrous?

Reply to
John Rumm

Brian means "ferritic" (as opposed to martensitic or austenitic).

Reply to
newshound

Yes, those used in submarines.

Reply to
jon

Well, perhaps Brian meant non-magnetic. But AFAIK, submarines are still mostly made from good old fashioned carbon steel, as are (most) surface warships. Presumably they still use degaussing, first introduced in WW2, but perhaps magnetic mines are not the threat they once were.

Reply to
newshound

Is there *any* non-carbon steel?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Well no, but the carbon level is pretty low in mild steel. I should probably have said carbon-manganese steel, because that's typically what is used when you need a bit more strength as in pressure vessels including submarine pressure hulls. The term carbon steel is also used for steels with sufficient carbon to be hardenable, such as knife blades, also everday tools like hammers, chisels, pliers, etc. In the old days, drills, taps, dies, etc. were made from carbon steel, these days "high speed steels" with alloying elements to give them more "hot hardness" are more common.

Reply to
newshound

who is the entity known as peeler? does it post under any other name, it does not seem to serve any purpose other than annoy every one other than you who I imagine gets great enjoyment.

Reply to
F Murtz