Quick electrical question

I have bought 3 new shaver sockets, which I want to install side by side in our bathroom. Is there such a thing as a triple width surface mounted back box? I'm not sure of the height, but probably 150mm. These ones:

There's a crying need for a neater solution than this. We have two electric toothbrushes plus a Water-Pik, and I'm fed up with unplugging one to plug another one in. I can't believe that I'm the only one. :)

Reply to
GB

A BS EN 61558-2-5 chrome socket shaver for £4.50?

Reply to
ARW

Do all of those things really need to be in the bathroom? My toothbrush only needs charging every couple of weeks or so. I charge it elsewhere, where it doesn't need a fancy isolating transformer.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Apparently so.

Someone at Homebase has probably over-ordered 1000 crates instead of 1000 each, and needs to shift them before the manager finds out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Those are a regular double socket back box, so you'd need 3 doubles stacked together.

Could you fit an isolation transformer somewhere hidden (loft?), and then some single gang shaver sockets? MK Logic Plus have some, page 455:

Alternatively do your gadgets have USB chargers available? Perhaps an isolated USB supply would be easier?

(I'm not sure whether it would be OK to stick a USB power brick in the loft and run 5V down, although I suppose there should be isolation courtesy of the SMPSU.)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It might have made sense to have *one* in the bathroom in the bad old days when electric razors were mains powered (and some famous brands sold around Xmas only ever worked properly on US 60Hz mains ie. Ronson).

But battery powered razors and toothbrushes need charging about once a fortnight so why on earth would you want *three* sockets side by side?

Reply to
Martin Brown

I can't help with those, but you can buy 1-gang shaver sockets and triple 1-gang back boxes.

Reply to
Steve Walker

But as they get old electric toothbrushes need charging all the time as they dont retain charge. Why two electric toothbrushes though ? Just separate heads needed.

Reply to
Robert

They may find that while brushing their teeth is a good time to talk :)

Reply to
Robin

How about this?

You will have to cut off one quarter of the back plate and one of the double gang sockets

or

try and find the back box for one of these:

SH

Most shaver sockets I have fitted have required a 47mm deep box. You might be able to use these to space out the boxes depending on where the screw to tags are placed, I used them to get sockets alongside each other in our kitchen.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Usually you need a deep (45mm+) backbox for those to accommodate the transformer.

(one humming away is bad enough, not sure I fancy three!)

Something like:

Feeding the smaller non transformer sockets might look a bit neater.

Reply to
John Rumm

'No load loss: 3.3W'. The official shaver sockets have a cutoff if nothing is plugged in, although that's no help for things like chargers which are always plugged in. They can also get a bit toasty if something is left plugged in (to the extent of cracking the frontplate in some cases).

It's also IP20. I think that's probably OK if it's tucked away somewhere out of reach of moisture.

I wonder if it hums?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

If you have three outlets, you need three transformers.

Reply to
GB

The one I linked to had 60VA capacity, and so should support three sockets. (there is a 100VA version as well for £4 more)

Reply to
John Rumm

Why? Because of the risk of touching live parts on two devices at once?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Why are the needed at all , I thought all such toothbrushes & shavers sold in the UK were 230- ~110V they just need a two prong 'shaver' type socket. I wouldn't charge either of these devices in the bathroom anyway.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Why?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that must be the reason.

Otherwise, you would only need a single shaver socket and one of these (but with three outlets):

GB

that is all you do need

The point of the transfomers is not not have the voltages referenced to earth so touching any single conductor does not result in a shock

Obviously if you are concerned with touching *two*, at once, even a single trasnformer/socket is 'dangerous'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher