SOT: electric vehicle cars

Yes but thats too sanitised and no fun whatever;!..

You need a good dose of Deltic induced clag mate;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

====snip====

That statement only makes sense if you meant to use kph for the speed of the TGV (116.25mph). :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

So what? I'm sure there was once the fastest horse and buggy and the world, too.

It stops "tunnel boom" when the train enters a tunnel at 200mph.

All of that is true. There is also a decent sized table and electrical power for each seat, which swivel round on a pivot, and a nice polite, well-dressed railway employee wearing white gloves rotates them all 180 degrees at the termini, so all the seats face forward on all journeys.

Talking of seats, most shinkansen services are reservation-only, so you

*always* get one.

Buffet car? A nice polite, well-dressed railway employee wearing white gloves trundles a trolley full of delicious Japanese food and drink up and down for the whole journey.

Railways are not about technology, but about providing a service. Something that railway buffs seem completely unable to understand, and the main reason why they are the very last people who should be allowed to operate railway companies.

Reply to
Huge

See my point about railways buffs I posted a couple of minutes ago.

Reply to
Huge

Surprised they don't face them all backwards ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It would be much safer, but the customers don't like it. If there are 4 of you, you can swivel one set round to face each other ...

Reply to
Huge

and provide seat belts for forward facing passengers

Reply to
Martin

End of platform 10 for ye mate! U need some education of the pleasures of Diseasel engines;!..

We'll have to send you to a correction establishment for training;!!..

tony sayer

[19 lines snipped]

I wouldn't bank on it. ~30 years of commuting by train gave me some pretty strong views on the subject, most of them involving obscure medieval instruments of torture and having the flayed corpses of Network Rail and ToC employees chained to the front of locomotives.

Reply to
Huge

Pfft. I waited and waited for you to give it the beans, but it never happened. :-(

I mean, what is the point of a Deltic experience if you can?t give it the beans?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ah! understandable then;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

Weren't me there in that vid. Haven't got around to the deltic as yet class 40 and 31 but not 55 ;!

Well they can only do these on preserved railways usually subject to a low speed limit. You do get that luvverly Deltic sound:)

They aren't going to let you out onto the main line:(

Mores the pity;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Must be 20 years since I was at the Nene Valley with the kids (who aren't small any more!) and they were running 'races' (standing start through the station)

I think the Deltic smoked more than the steamers!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They are a bit prone to smoking and sometimes like here, wind it onto around 9 mins elapsed, they do have a tendency to catch fire oil collecting in the exhaust drums IIRC..

"The long haul by 86 from Kings Cross at daft o'clock, the joy of seeing D9000 tie on the stock at Edinburgh Waverley, the smell of the exhaust filling the coach through the many open windows as the train accelerated through one of the Calton tunnels, the thrill of experiencing passenger haulage behind a Deltic at speed again, then the shared disappointment when it all came to a grinding halt at Berwick upon Tweed."!!

Reply to
tony sayer