SOT: electric vehicle cars

It's not just their drivers that do the pointing thing then?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nope. All trackside employees, I believe. And I was a little disappointed she didn't bow to the incoming train, which we saw a lot when we were there.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Rob Morley scribeth thus

Now thats what i call music;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

+1
Reply to
bert

It wasn't your greedy capitalists who controlled AP2

Reply to
bert

I am making the reasonable assumption that they control the politicians.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Two out of three from a 3 phase supply or one of those dual phases?

Reply to
ARW

I thought there were 3 incoming, but whoever put the supply in only used a

3 core cable, so it's two phases and neutral. I only discovered this when we were fed from a genny after a nearby builder wrecked the local feeder. The company fuse holder is a 3 phase one so I assumed we had all 3.
Reply to
charles

My parent's house built in the 1930s had two phases, but only one used. Believe they were two out of the three - and all three were alternated over the estate, with each house having two. I was told it was provision for all electric heating in the future. The actual houses were built with no power sockets at all - unless you paid extra for them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That would have been for the days I was taught about at school "when electricity would be free due to the nuclear power stations".

Reply to
ARW

Nuclear power stations - in the 1930's ?????

ISTR that in the early days of electricity some electric companies had different tariffs for 'lighting' and 'power'. Perhaps the intention was to have a lighting meter on one phase and a power meter on the other.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

And my great aunt said if you left a socket switched on with no plug inserted, the electricity would escape through the holes and increase the electricity bill.

Reply to
Scott

It wasn't that 'early'. My parents built a house 1949/1950 which was very innovative in many ways (latest square pin plugs, through lounge, etc.) but that had separate fuseboxes and meters for light and power.

Reply to
Chris Green

No you weren't. Read this Winky article for more info.

Foolish claims about things have been made down the ages.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That was normal right up to the mid sixties.

Reply to
harry

Hey, me too. Pootling along the main street of a seaside town, it could get quite raucous when oblivious holidaymakers strayed too far from the pavement. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

As Mike says the nuclear power aspirations were in the mid 50s, and it wasn't free electricity it was electricity too cheap to meter.

In the 30s my grandfather worked for "the electric light" and the company had a coal fired steam turbine next to the town gas plant, I believe they both depended on cooling water from the nearby canal. It was policy then to connect any house that asked for a supply and provide one lighting fixture, any other connections were chargeable extras.

By the time I was born the grid connection meant the plant was closed but the chimney dominated the town and was used to carry the name of a toilet cleaner for all the commuters on the mainline to London to see.

Granddad kept his works cart when he retired and would give my sister and I rides up and down the street in it, it was affectionately known as the bogey wagon.

AJH

Reply to
news

Sorry should have been APT - which was in the hands of British Engineers backed by the government and was a failure.

Reply to
bert

Yes be better with a bit of clag for good measure.

I once many years ago had around 20 mins with my mitt on the power handle of one of they:)

All under the watchful eye of a senior traction inspector tho!...

Reply to
tony sayer

It's the fastest Diesel-Electric...in the world

At 148mph it still holds the record after 30 years, back when the TGV was only doing 186mph in regular service :)

That is far too pointy but the aisles look nice and wide, the seats look aligned properly with windows and are probably comfortable to sit on and there looks like plenty of legroom. But I bet the buffet car is incapable of serving lukewarm tea and curled up ham sandwich.

Reply to
The Other Mike