Electric cars - running costs.

On R4 You and Yours today - for those who may wish to listen again - there was a bit about some filling stations providing fast charge points. At last, you might say.
And they interviewed an actual punter with a Leaf. Worth a listen. ;-)
One point he made was he charges it at home at 12p per kW.hr. A full charge costing about £2 and taking him about 80 miles.
The fast charge points will cost 50p per kW.hr and only charge to 80%.
So as a rough guestimate 7 quid for 70 miles. Not much different from a small diesel. And, of course, no duty on that electricity, unlike petrol and diesel.
--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Let's assume that I don't have listen again yet.
Did they say how long the fast charge took?
--
Adam

The Norwegians are planning to tax (or remove subsidies) from heavy electric cars. I think they mean ones exceeding 2 tonnes.

This kind of thing (and more) is inevitable. Governments are addicted to the tax levied on vehicle fuels and will not give them up.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 72nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
On 18/10/2017 20:00, Huge wrote:

Something most proponents of electric vehicles tend to forget.
--
Michael Chare

On 18/10/2017 21:55, Michael Chare wrote:

That's what smart meters are for :-).

I've been looking at EV charging (we've just ordered a hybrid) and I've found there are a surprising number of free or cheap charging points. Some require a subscription of about £8 per mth, others seem to be totally free. The £8 / mth one is the Polar network, which is a mix of free and charged for points.
Of course, the danger is that, having got everyone 'hooked', they ramp up the costs.
The Gov. still offer not only a generous 'bonus' to help fund a hybrid or EV, they are also funding the installation of domestic charge points. The process seems very 'slick' so far- ours should be installed in under 2 weeks.
On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 20:47:37 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:

s.

of

no danger whatsoever, it's guaranteed
NT

Indeed, one of the reasons we went hybrid and not all electric.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 21:55:07 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

What I don't understand about hybrids is the effective mpg on long trips? As well as the fuel serving the internal combustion engine you have the losses from the electricity generator and motors to pay for, and the weight of the electric system and battery to carry around. How can the hybrid possibly be as cheap to run as a modern diesel only car?
On Thursday, 19 October 2017 15:59:55 UTC+1, mechanic wrote:

They come into their own about town. Little benefit on the motorway.
So you may as well have a straight electric car. Covers 99% of most people's needs.

You don't have a starter motor or alternator. I'm getting a long-term measured MPG of about 56. That seems to be rather better than most smallish petrol cars.
--
"What causes poverty?" Wrong question. Poverty is our primordial state. The
real question is, "What causes wealth?"
On 19/10/2017 16:24, Tim Streater wrote:

I get that from my medium sized diesel. For a long, mainly motorway, run I will get around 65mpg. This is as reported by the car so I can't say how accurate it is :) Perhaps one day I will get around to measuring it.

That's about what I would expect. Trouble is, it's a diesel.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't
On 19/10/17 16:24, Tim Streater wrote:

but inferior to most smallish diesel cars.
private property.
On 19/10/17 15:59, mechanic wrote:

No better than a diesel. On ling trips all the benefit is in the energy recovery,.
As well as the fuel serving the internal combustion engine

What you lose are gearbox and transmission losses and waht you gain is regeneration and the ability to run the power plant at the most efficient part of its energy curve .
private property.
On 19/10/2017 15:59, mechanic wrote:

Why are they called 'hybrids'? A better name would be 'chimera'.
Bill

They only really work well driven gently around town. Drive them hard on the open road and they use more fuel than an equivalent performance ICE.
--
*Windows will never cease *

On 18/10/2017 20:47, Brian Reay wrote:

Shame the 'govt' isn't using its own money though ....
On 19/10/2017 17:07, Andrew wrote:

The Gov doesn't have its own money, it gets it from tax payers like me. I see the bonus as a tax rebate ;-)