True cost of "filling" an electric car?

Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.
I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) - in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to petrol/diesel cars.
But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e. when done at home)?
On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:

Using figures here and assuming you have Economy 7 at around 6p for 7 hours and 12p in the day (remaining hours):
https://driveandream.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/how-to-charge-your-tesla-model-s-at-home/
Do do a full recharge on a 32A single phase circuit (the usual if you own an electric car and recharge it there - 13A is only really useful if you are a remote site with no 32A option):
A full recharge is estimated to be about 11 hours at 7.3kW, so 7 at 6p and 4 at 12p = £6.62
Or in terms of price/mile:
The same webpage suggests a charging rate of:
3.4 miles per kWh
So if using no more that 7 hours charging per night:
1.76p/mile
and if using day rate electricity:
3.53p/mile
For comparison, my diesel Touran at 50mpg costs around 9.6p per mile.
Either way it's a good deal, but does not factor the massive capital cost of a Tesla!
On Friday, 1 April 2016 13:24:04 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

del-s-at-home/

Any idea what it'll cost for a replacement battery and how long they are ex pected to last.
On 01/04/16 13:39, whisky-dave wrote:

Tesla have previously had long warranties on the batteries - no idea what the Model 3 will offer as the car starts at a more reasonable £24k ish.
Rather worryingly, a guy over the road had a relative with a Tesla staying over the Christmas break. Apparently he says the problem his relative has had thus far is one cell going down needing the whole battery to be replaced under the warranty. I don't know what technology these batteries use, but it does beg the question that could they fail and catch fire as laptop batteries used to? Anyone know?
Obviously it is early days, and the people using these expensive vehicles now are first adopters and pay dearly for that privilege. The other issue is what about heating the car in the winter. Its fine if our live in California, but not here or Scandinavia. this no doubt would push the mileage down quite a lot. Brian
--
----- -

There were stories about Tesla refusing to honour the warranty if the car was left unused and not plugged in for a relatively sort period. Like say parking up at an airport while you went on holiday.
--
*Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.*

On 02/04/2016 11:02, Brian Gaff wrote:

I have a friend with a Nissan Leaf - heating it does indeed make quite an impact on the range. You can mitigate it a bit by having it preheat while still connected to the mains (there is a remote control app for your phone). His model seems a bit daft in that it uses an electrical resistance heater to heat water, which is then circulated through a conventional car style heating system. In fact it seems to pre heat the water even during the summer when its not needed. Later models apparently now include a heat pump style heater which takes less power.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 12:13:18 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Using the water as a heat bank? Seems sensible...

That makes sense when you are relying on the battery, 1 kW in 2 to 3 kW out...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 06/04/2016 10:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Using water to move the heat about is ok, in that it presumably lets them make use of a conventional heater matrix and ventilation system. Heating the water resistively from battery is less good, and doing it with a heater that you can't turn off even in summer seems daft.

--
Cheers,

John.
On 01/04/2016 13:23, Tim Watts wrote:

And don't forget that if lots of people did it, they would find a way of taxing it! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 01/04/16 20:34, John Rumm wrote:

Yes, yes they would certainly try.
Though I am not sure how... <Recalls DVD Region Coding farce and decss debarcle)
On 01/04/2016 21:04, Tim Watts wrote:

Slap a premium on the annual car tax...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 02/04/16 00:52, John Rumm wrote:

That would be refreshing transparent by government standards...
They would certainly do something - look at diesel and LPG. But as you cannot put markers on electrons, taxing the fuel does not seem to be one of the options.

If even a few people start doing it, the local substation transformers will all burn out, never mind the supply network.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Only if we all started at once. What will really happen is it will take decades for everyone to take them up, and the substations will be gradually upgraded. And since the electric companies are making a lot more money, they can spend that on the transformers.
--
The most effective way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

On 05/04/2016 14:02, Mr Macaw wrote:

ROFL. The RECS will be 'persuading' the government to force electric car owners to have a smart meter and either charge them all the missing fuel duty and car tax via their leccy bill, or simply tell the meter to instruct the car to stop charging when a brownout situation occurs.

An interesting analysis from today's telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/04/06/dont-be-fooled---elon-musks -electric-cars-arent-about-to-save-th/
--
bert

The usual bullshit about the electricity being dirty, even though we're constantly adding solar and wind etc everywhere.
--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"

Far too easy to get around.
--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

In the same way you can get any ATM to give you anything you want cash wise ?