True cost of "filling" an electric car?

The sensible way would be to tax on actual road usage. Quite easy to do now, unlike a few years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All of which says very clearly that you do not understand what you originally wrote about battery deterioration!.

Nothing new there really...

Reply to
tony sayer

That's always been easy - get the MOT check to register your odometer (I know, first 3 years would need a special case).

Uninvasive of privacy and simple. They'll never do it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Far far too easy to fiddle the mileage reading on any car. The used car trade has been doing it for ever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Including electronic odometers?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Even easier with the correct software.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It doesn't look that easy:

Tim Watts

Looks pretty simple to me - especially if lots of money is involved. And most can be done without a soldering iron anyway.

For everything that claims to be hack proof, there is always a hacker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - I haven't read the proposal. Immediately makes me ask what happens if you want to recharge at a friend's house? What if your recharging pushes them into some sort of extra cost as a heavy user?

Reply to
polygonum

You would only be able to recharge at the low rate unless they had a special charge point. Probably you would only top up to the level needed to get you home,not a full recharge anyway.

No, it will have to be GPS and/or some sort of special mileage recorder on the car. Then big brother will really be able to keep an eye on you.

Reply to
harry

nce power, so would send the meter that value, and that's what it would use for evaluating how much to charge you.

at me, they aren't cheap. it'd cost £1000s.

current surge in current as a car battery charging will have that effect, the rest is just simple calcluations.

Well it doesnlt sound it to me other than the safety aspects in a teaching lab.

Well that;s down to costs and whthert they think it';s worth while. Not sure they'll be a great demand for meter readers that can be read by te h blind.

they managed it curently.

No when it's country wide, and it'll be the govenment that sets the tax on it not individual households or companies.

No you don't your charging a car, it's the same electricity at the same pri ce for everyone.

- and that's just for cars. Imagine

why would you want to do that.

I recon it'll happenn in mine.

wants IT standards have to do with it.

what immense installation base ?

Whatever makes the most money quickly and easily.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not sure that's a problem.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Since when? - they cannot even roll out a universal smart meter.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Far too easy to get around.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The usual bullshit about the electricity being dirty, even though we're constantly adding solar and wind etc everywhere.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Easy enough to make your car charge unevenly to simulate other things.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The smart meter is difernt technology to recoding how much current is being taken from a supply. Te trouble with the smatmeters is the data rate they companies expect as I said a friend is writing an app with one company, who wants greater than h ourly updates, even one street of 100 homes all transmitting at the same ti me can swap a system, too many data points too much in to to 'transmit' bac k to the billing company.

Two seperate problems working out how much current a battery takes to charg e is piss easy.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No it would't be in reality. Sure you could just charge your car at 100ma the same as a torch, for a few weeks, but no one would care would they.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And the rest of it? Communicating that back to the house's smart meter for example.

My point was: they cannot even make a standard smart meter for flexible tarrifs that is universal (can be used by any supplier).

How are they going to manage to make a smart meter that communicates with one or more loads, given the suppliers are still stakeholders, and now there are dozens to hundreds of stakeholders at the load end.

My point is not that it is technically infeasible (it could be done).

It is that it is commercially infeasible as there are way too many stakeholders.

It will go the way of the NHS central records system - a lot of money, won;t work right and will go on forever.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But we use things like kettles, tumble driers, etc. So you just make the car charge then stop then charge then stop, preferably at a different level each time.

Reply to
Mr Macaw