True cost of "filling" an electric car?

we have a system where computers can talk to each other from all over the world. We have transformers and adpaters that means you can take almost any product to anywhere in teh world. e have cars and bikes with all sorts of fittings and sizes, but whatever car you by you can be pretty sure someone will make a type for it.

thats what they say. if ot was in their interest they'd do it just like everything else.

How do they set an electricity prices at the moment.

What do you mean by too many stakeholders. We have the same with electric, water, council tax, even pertol.

that's' why you don;t let the goverment in control it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That would depend on how you think the electicity will be paid for which you don't. What you be the advantage of stopping and starting charging a car ? The amount of electricity used will be pretty much the same.

Reply to
whisky-dave

What?

But it would appear to the meter that it was on and off use like domestic appliances.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes yes...

Exactly - and taxing electricity at different rates by load type is not really something they're going to be interested in.

?

Stakeholders = interested parties. There are too many. You'll get a design-by-committee approach and we know how well that works.

No we don't - it's not at all related.

Which is what will have to happen to enforce electricty-by-load variable taxation.

It will not work. Not because of the tech, but because no bugger will be able to agree on the tech, there being dozens of "buggers" involved (stakeholders) - and worse, the government will be involved, moving the goalposts every 3 months.

If you think that's going to end well, have a look at the track record on large IT State-connected projects.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What is it going to cost to fill up with electricity ? Simple question. Or how much per kw

so, what will a car be called a non dometisc applience whicvh gets free electricity paid for by the govenrment ?

can you tell me who's going to pay for the elecicity used to drive UK cars.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I agree so the problem won't exist. all you need to know is how much current goes into your car over what period of time. I DO NOT see a need for govenrment adding a tax to electricity. Well no more so than they add tax to water gas and anything else.

Some pay for their water by usage most of us pay our electricity and gas by the amount we use, why should it be any differnt just because it's going into the car rather than the TV or fridge freezer ?

or by type of vehical as they do now.Everyone I assume those with a car pay road tax but the goventemnt don't have to know how far you've traveled in order to bill you.

That's what's happening with smartmeters or rather the software. very nice ideas thought up by managers that haven't a clue we have that here I see where it comes from.

So the answer will be to tax cars electricity at exactly the same as any other applience. Why do you think a new tax will be needed and why will it have to depend on car charging.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Fuck all compared to overly taxed petrol.

It's paid for by me, at the same rate as my household electricity, just not overly taxed like petrol. Petrol has 400% tax!

Their owners.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

So why tax it, if it's that cheap it'd cost mor eto collect the tax that you get.

Well if it's paid by you someone has to work out how much you owe them. Now if the company that supplies you with the electricity doesn't know how much you're taking from them.... and if they do which is what I suspect then the govenment will ask them.

What you havent explained is why the govenrment will choose to tax electricity differntly for cars. They dont tax it differntly for kettle TV, washing machine and storage raidators.

exactly so why all, this woryy about how will the govenment tax these owners.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Because they're stupid. We should abolish all taxes and just put it in one single place - income tax. WAY less paperwork.

They already do, everybody has an electric meter and pays 4% tax on what they use.

I don't think they will try, and they certainly won't manage to with me.

People are concerned that the tax on car electricity will shoot up so we pay just as much as we do now for petrol. And changing to electric cars will all have been for nothing.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You think they want to cut down on paperwork ?

I don't.

yeah like yuor super inteligent ..... you've said your already paying

yes so, that's the way these things have always worked.

which is why they won;t be puthing high taxes on electricity used for drving cars.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Less paperwork, more tax left to spend on the silly things they want to spend it on.

You generate your own power?

That is sentence number 47 of "things you should always spell right".

4%, not 400% like on petrol and diesel.

Which is why electric cars aren't being bought much. That and the battery expense/lifetime/range is shit.

All they need to do is convince us they won't. Once there are only electric cars, they can do what they like.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I guess you've never heard of red tape.

I don't pay 4% tax on my power.

So you're estimate is that they are going to put 400% tax on electric how will that encourage people to buy electric cars and then how much wil it cost per mile compared to deisel and petrol ?

So they'll have to reduce the tax on such cars then won't they.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's not the same thing.

You do if you receive it from an electric company like most people do. The only way to avoid the 4% is to generate your own.

They'll do it after we all have electric cars. We won't go back as they'll have closed most of the petrol stations.

Probably the same. They'll tax as much as they can get away with - 80p a litre (equivalent).

Not when we all have them and don't have a choice.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What you can't factor into is that supplying lectricity one day will be a l ot easier than supplying petrol. Petrol is a very dangerous commodity that requires a capital outlay that is way beyond the abilities of the momand po p garages of the 1930's.

They all died in the 1960's when petrol comapnies started supplying petrol at discounted rates to fuel stations that could sell by the millions of gal lons per annum.

A big problem for Big Oil is that electricity generators will run on thoriu m a cheap as dirt system that never runs out. I believe they are already mo ving the planet to prevent investment. But even so power stations can run o n coal and do run on bunker oil.

When the Chinese start supplying Nuclear power-station construction crews B ig Oil will wither on the vine; it has to, as electric cars can be filled u p at any shed that wants the business.

Elon Musk has already considered the idea of replacement batteries for peop le who can afford them. The idea of slipping them out of one of his cars to be replaced by spare cells is a good one -for when the batteries can be ma de at silly throw away prices. But sadly, we will have thorium reactors by then (Not that I think it is sad that we will have such fail-safe nuclear r eactors. I think it is a pity that the Republicans only kill Democrats. We all would have benefited by the assassination of tricky dicky.)

Elon Musk's name will fill history books the way Henry Ford's still does.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Especially when the Irish start exporting their chemically treated pirate versions.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer