True cost of "filling" an electric car?

I'm willing to bet no electric could do the average 200 mile commute on one battery charge. Every day of the year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And don't forget that if lots of people did it, they would find a way of taxing it! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, yes they would certainly try.

Though I am not sure how...

Reply to
Tim Watts

But how long will it be before the government decide that they have to tax the electricity to charge a car at the equivalent rate as the tax or petrol/diesel? Why do you think that they want smart meters fitted to every household?

Reply to
alan_m

With a new battery! What mileage can it achieve on a single charge when the battery is a 1 or 2 years old?

Reply to
alan_m

Although it would be hard to tell the difference between "Tesla charging" and "Several storage heaters".

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Today programme was puffing this this morning.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Slap a premium on the annual car tax...

Reply to
John Rumm

The ones at local Park & Rides not only used to be free, they offered prizes to encourage people to use them, then they found the people using them weren't paying for the P&R bus, so just getting free parking and free charging, I think you have to pay via an RFID tag now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Lots of factors, the main one being hills. I get about 75% of what's claimed but we have lots of hills round here. The heater could easily knock 25% off the range if used injudiciously.

Reply to
harry

Lots of people here rabbiting on with zero knowledge. My car is 2012, any battery deterioration is undetectable.

Reply to
harry

hat make them less useful per quid than a ordinary car.

It's a question of perceived value not deterioration.

How long is a piece of string? Depends on how "empty" the battery is. From completely empty on the fastest points, 20 minutes to 80% full so I'm told. (This is a situation that never arises)

Reply to
harry

They are working towards a black GPS box in everyone's car. Introducing it as a way to cheap insurance/theft protection.. It's actually to spy on you and tax you.

Reply to
harry

That would be refreshing transparent by government standards...

They would certainly do something - look at diesel and LPG. But as you cannot put markers on electrons, taxing the fuel does not seem to be one of the options.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The discussion was about the 215 mile range on a full charge. The battery will deteriorate and over the years the range on a full charge will decrease.

You may not see the difference if you are using your car for, say, less than 100 miles between charges.

Reply to
alan_m

Rather worryingly, a guy over the road had a relative with a Tesla staying over the Christmas break. Apparently he says the problem his relative has had thus far is one cell going down needing the whole battery to be replaced under the warranty. I don't know what technology these batteries use, but it does beg the question that could they fail and catch fire as laptop batteries used to? Anyone know?

Obviously it is early days, and the people using these expensive vehicles now are first adopters and pay dearly for that privilege. The other issue is what about heating the car in the winter. Its fine if our live in California, but not here or Scandinavia. this no doubt would push the mileage down quite a lot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Depends on the type..

80% charge in 1hr is common for cars with a 24kWhr battery. 80% charge in 30 minutes are about but not every car can use them as they are high voltage DC and you need a special charger in the car.

The cheapest reasonable new electric car (eZoe) has a range of about 100 miles and can be bought for about £18k or about £20k with the fast DC charger.

The range is less with the fast DC option due to the extra weight.

Reply to
dennis

Why do you think they have been looking at road pricing and having all cars tracked? I would think they will just use APNR cameras and send you a bill for each one passed.

Reply to
dennis

There were stories about Tesla refusing to honour the warranty if the car was left unused and not plugged in for a relatively sort period. Like say parking up at an airport while you went on holiday.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If even a few people start doing it, the local substation transformers will all burn out, never mind the supply network.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel