Do you really need 90 pound cable to make TV work?

I don't get this.

Why do you need an HDMI cable at all?

If you are plugging your 4K TV into a broadcast signal, all you need is an aerial (or sat) fly lead.

OTOH if you are using your 4K TV as a display for an external STB/DVD/whatever source then surely the punter expects the required cable to come in the box with the STB/DVD device, not in the box with the TV?

(FTAOD, I do know that the rip off versions of cables are not necessary - I am making a separate point)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Absolutely no point in a 4K TV if all you're watching is FreeView HD. ;-)

Yes. Never seen such cables coming with the TV. But you may wish to choose your own to get the best length for your installation.

Reading between the lines, Curries seem to be referring to the cable needed with a 4K source. But they try to sell you 'better' ones with any external device. Or did here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even Russ Andrews only wants £232!

Bob Eager

£5.99

I can personally attest that that cable works fine at 4k from my laptop (which had a heart attack initially and basically said "what the hell resolution??!!!" and was eventually persuaded to work with a couple of updates).

Reply to
Tim Watts

$1,000 HDMI Cable!?

Useless Tech Over $100 Ep. 1

(warning, link contains non-Oz whiny voice, use discretion ...)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

OTOH, I don't ever recall buying a USB cable, and yet have a big box full of them.

Reply to
Huge

No of course not Do you really want a 4K tv in the first place? Are you perhaps going to feed a cinema? If not then why the sudden need for huge bandwidth. I thought the idea of digital and compression was to put more stations into less bandwidth for more choice (ha ha)? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If thecable was long in the old analogue days, it made a difference due to the capacity. Nowadays, as long as the system can resolve the highest frequencies in the digital stream and can get a solid lock, then the output is fine from what folk tell me. However there are worrying reports that poor quality interconnects can radiate really bad interference for anyone using analogue radios nearby. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It would be nice to have proper HD - as was first envisaged and broadcast. What we have now from FreeView is nothing like so good. A broadcast vision engineer did explain to me why it is worse, but can't remember the reasons. Probably the same as why 'they' ruined DAB. Quantity is more important than quality. And, of course, if you transmit something which is OK to most, you'll not sell the new improved hardware so easily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They over compress and you get massive artifacts everywhere - either on fast moving sky scenes or any scene with a lot of bland similar colour, like sky or night time scenes.

The quality is in that respect worse than 625 line even if the resolution is better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes. Although some sets seem to show this even more than others.

Absolutely nothing now beats a decent analogue picture on a good CRT set. Except for size - which of course means everything these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But often there is no price difference between a well made cable and a badly made cable and the price for a good cable is only a 20th of that some of the high street chains attempt to sell to unwary customers.

It not a new problem, replacing SCART connections where the signals were individually screened and using 100% screened aerial down/fly leads often cured problems and with the better quality products costing a couple of quid.

Reply to
alan_m

replying to Dave Plowman (News), Kevin Prescott wrote: To get 4k at his best you need 4k optical cable from the LNB which is very expensive(£95 100mtrs trade) but i recently worked on a block of apartments and sky were happy to use the coax of the dish and connected a

4k combiner and connected the coax to the apartment..The signal works over coax but single installs should be fitted with new optical 4k cable..The apartments were 3 stories and very high and the sky lads don't like going any higher than the bedroom window...Virgin lie to customers saying they have optical broadband when wht they mean is ,its optical to the green box which feed the area then we use very long runs of coax to your house...
Reply to
Kevin Prescott

I never pay more than a fiver. Everything works.

Reply to
harry

Sky Q uses coax and can handle 4k broadcast TV with ease. You only need high speeds if you are dealing with uncompressed digital video which is studio work not anything you have at home.

Cables with digital signals on them are of three sorts..

cheap ones that work fine, expensive ones that work fine over longer distances, and expensive rip off ones that do nothing any better than the others. Optical cable to the LNB is just plain daft in virtually every home in the UK.

Reply to
dennis
[snip]

You're replying to me? Thanks. Except I have absolutely no idea what you're replying to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to tim..., Kevin Prescott wrote: Whoever is charging £90 is taking someone for a ride..At my local supplier 100m of Fibre optic cable is £36.19 and 200m for £67 , you can buy leads made up for less than £10 so its another trade rogue..They have a full range of new 4k HDMI leads from £2.14 with them all also being 3D compatible,,

Reply to
Kevin Prescott