True cost of "filling" an electric car?

Wage slave commuters.

How many miles has it done? Since mid 2012 I've done about 55,000 miles. Which is over 250 full charge discharge cycles at 215 miles/charge. Far more actaual charge events would happen in reality.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

capital

Or the overall increase in the electricty bill with an E7 tariff instead of the best deal normal one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Using the water as a heat bank? Seems sensible...

That makes sense when you are relying on the battery, 1 kW in 2 to 3 kW out...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then don't plug in 1 million mp3 players at the same time then. As this would be how a smartmeter could detect and know what you are plugging in. I do know someone that was writing an app for use with smartmeters.

Reply to
whisky-dave

As they say it's just another thing that puts some off an electric car.

of course maybe there's a chance that there's a small battery you could use in the same ways as the can of pertol you keep in the boot for emergencies or you could just carry a mile or two of extention lead.

Or maybe carry a solar panel or windmill in the boot. If you realy only wanted to use green renewable energy ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I was resp> >

There is no road tax to pay on electric cars.

Reply to
harry

It has only done 15,000 miles. I use it locally, for long distances/more comfort, I use my other car.

Full discharges never happen. The chances of being marooned are too great. I have only twice run it to less than 10% charge remaining. Usually it is only run to 75% remaining. Or thereabouts.

It's hard to pre-assess your range on a new route, there are so many factors. I use Google Earth to get the mileage and check hills etc on an OS map. I can usually get within 10% but it's dodgy on extreme range journeys.

Even wind and temperature make a difference (which only matters on extreme range.) And cab heater use can f*ck things up altogether. Could knock 25% off total range. It does have electrically heated seats which uses less.

You can improve range by cunning driving/route selection.

Reply to
harry

So you need 2 cars.

Well that's a relief.

For me this would be considered a cost, in that not being sure I could get to where I was going. I don;t own a car but when friend go anywhere they ne ver seem to worry whethe ror not they;ll havce enough petrol to get where t hey are going just whethe they have enough to go to the nearest or prefered garage.

I can understand that and with petrol or diesel it's hardly a problem a fri end has a similar problem with LPG.

But all these things concern people when choosing a car or any product hope fuly they'll get much better range and charging speed then more will consid er them as viable options.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If you can't understand the posts why don't you ask a five year old to help you?

Reply to
dennis

Really green isn't it, having two lots of carbon costs for the production of a car so you can have one to use locally and the other when it won't work.

Range anxiety, I bet you charge it every day.

To avoid the ANPR cameras?

Reply to
dennis

Yep

it's a sensible as telling people that they have to drive to their council tip to recycle certain types of waste

tim

Reply to
tim...

Why you are fixating on the one issue of road tax checking by ANPR when it also used for other things and could be used in the future for others shows the limitation to logical thinking that your aged mind has reached. Dennis used the use of ANPR being used to successfully find people who avoid road tax now as an example of a system that could observe the movements of cars in the future if that is needed and not that easy to avoid , he did not say earlier in the discussion road tax he said road pricing which is different. The Severn Bridge Toll and M6 Toll road are existing situations of that not too far from you,why don't you try to use them in your electric car and try claiming that because you don't pay road tax you don't have to pay a road pricing charge either.

Do you think that if you drove your car through a Police ANPR check and you didn't have a valid Mot or Insurance the coppers would just shrug it off and mutter its an" electric car it doesn't pay road tax so we will ignore it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Which is presuambly why the HiFi business still insists on selling boxes that are 435 mm wide (?to keep the yanks happy) but contain mostly empty space, with a modern miniture pcb tucked to one side.

Reply to
Andrew

And that is precisely what smart meters will be able to do. It knows what is using power, so one day could simply slap the 'missing' fuel duty and VAT onto your leccy bill.

Reply to
Andrew

'Average 200 mile commute' ??. What, daily ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Or driving at 20 mph. Shame Jeremy Clarkson has left Top Gear, electric cars could become the new caravans.

Reply to
Andrew

ROFL. The RECS will be 'persuading' the government to force electric car owners to have a smart meter and either charge them all the missing fuel duty and car tax via their leccy bill, or simply tell the meter to instruct the car to stop charging when a brownout situation occurs.

Reply to
Andrew

That's exceeding the average speed in london isnt it.

whisky-dave

How is it able to know?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I would assume by inbuilt chips in the products, simialer to how USB devices talk to the computer and tell it what it is and what it needs curretn wise and speed althogh speed wouldn't be needed.

Reply to
whisky-dave