Electric cars - running costs.

Having driven a hybrid with regen breaking for a few hours (I collected mine today), you use is to avoid braking. Obviously, not all braking but where you can anticipate what is happening. At least on my vehicle, the degree of regen, and therefore the 'drag', can be adjusted on the fly.

Reply to
Brian Reay

VW 412 fastbacks and estate cars used to have an auxiliary petrol-powered heater because the exhaust heat-exchangers weren't up to alpine winters.

Reply to
Andrew

Dionne Warwick the singer found out that a Glasgow one nearly lived up to their nickname "The Silent Death when she got hit by one when on a tour in the mid sixties. Makes the basis of a good pub quiz question, hardly anyone knows about it and a lot of people under 50 won't even know what one is.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Keep that idea to yourself or 'they' will be levying 'road fuel duty' on electricity.

Reply to
Brian Reay

For the same reason you pay less tax for heating oil than diesel used in a car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's not a reason, just a stating of the status quo.

Fuel is fuel, no matter how it is used. It's the system that decides to add taxes depending on how the fuel is used, not the fuels themselves.

So, it's the same system that may decide not to differentiate how we choose to use our electricity, be it for moving us from A to B in a car, from A to B in an electric train, from floor 1 to floor 10 in an electric lift or to electrically cook your food to allow you to walk from A to B.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Indeed. Tax/duty on road fuel is like tax/duty on booze and even tobacco, attempts by the government to make social judgements on who should have access to them.

Reply to
Brian Reay

sound fair to me.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

You asked for the reason.

And how to raise indirect taxes is decided by a principle. In this case by taxing fuel used for road vehicles. Not boats or trains or planes or agricultural ones. Road.

So it is a nonsense to exclude electric ones, excepting that it would be more difficult to tax the electricity used for a car, than a fossil fuel. So a different method of raising tax from them will have to be derived.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True to some extent. But then so is any tax on a product. Like purchase tax or even VAT.

Any government needs an income to run the country.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They'll dye the electrons on the stuff for Domestic Use Only.

Reply to
Steve

You seem to be confusing continuous with constant. The car will be able to apply torque to the wheels without noticeable interruption, that does not mean to say the amount of torque will not change.

Any sufficiently advanced technology will sound like magic ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I did, where is it? ;-)

So you are saying if I buy a gallon of petrol or diesel for my boat I don't pay tax on it? How do they know at the petrol station what I'm going to use it for?

I'm not sure the others create as much pollution in our cities though do they?

That is a practical consideration, true.

Maybe once all the IC vehicles are removed (at least in the cities) maybe they will bring in more toll roads and (GPS / ANPR tracked) miles driven (= wear on roads)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

about time the gov taxed cars out of existance, we are over-run with them.

3 or 4 per house, parked on pavements, sat in them for hours in a jam. People need to organise and try to share their journey with other drivers. Do we really need everyone to work from 9 - 5, could not the work hours change to spread out the number on the road at any one time?
Reply to
critcher

it suggests that service areas want their custom while they wait for their car to charge.

Reply to
critcher

I dunno about petrol for a boat, as they are going to be pretty rare, other than a small outboard, etc. Others will fill up at a marine filling station - not on the M1. And your car might get rather soggy is you tried to use that.

Diesel is called red or white. One is taxed for road vehicles. the other not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not necessarily.

One thing that changed a few years back in 2008 after pressure from Europe was that the use of rebated diesel for pleasure craft was no longer allowed. A narrow boat owner touring for pleasure or someone with a large cabin cruiser they are going out for a jolly on is supposed to pay duty on diesel used for propulsion purposes. If the narrow boat is a rare example of one still carrying a commercial cargo then it can still use diesel at the lower rate as presumably could a cabin cruiser that is earning money as a commercial operation giving rides around the bay

This understandably caused problems as on a boat there are times when the engine may be acting as a generator or supplying a heater from the same tank. Consequently what is supposed to happen is that on sale of fuel to a pleasure boat the supplier collects full duty even though the diesel is red for what is intended for propulsion and the purchaser self declares on an official form how much they use for non propulsion purposes and the supplier takes the lesser amount for what has been declared. Naturally the Powers that be would come down hard on anybody abusing the system. A few years back the EU was trying to remove even that concession but as far as I know the government has managed to resist that . If it had been implemented it would have meant boats having separate tanks and some boatyards would not have room for additional ones on shore.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

IIRC you now have to pay full fuel duty on marine diesel that is used for propulsion. You can still legally use red diesel in a boat, but the duty you should pay depends on what you are going to do with it. Different rates apply for propulsion and say heating. Needless to say its confusing clusterfuck of paperwork and form filling.

Reply to
John Rumm

Interesting - it's quite some time since I had anything to do with boats.

All that says, though, is having duty free electricity for cars is even more daft.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Including 500ish miles on a single refueling?

Reply to
charles