Part P - replacing an entire cable - notifiable (England)?

Just a quick check - legalistic Q

Is replacing a cable with one of equivalent or better spec from the MCB/RCBO right through to the end device *not notifiable* in England?

This is outside of any special locations...

This is replacing a T+E 10mm2 with 10mm2 singles in conduit - either i need to do this prior to signing off the Building Notice, but more convenient to leave until later...

As far as I can see - cable replacement is not notifiable generally - but it's not quite like for like (different cable type).

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's not notifiable - or at least not mentioned in the new Part P.

Under the old prat P rules it could only be changed if the cable was damaged and that only applied to a single circuit (to stop people doing rewires) and the cable had to follow the same route [1] and use cable of the same current carrying capacity[2].

[1] Brilliant rule that one - so you hit a cable that is running diagonally across a wall but you are NOT allowed to reroute the cable along a new route that meets the regs. [2] Well 10mm is 10mm isn't it.......

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

Excellent - I thought that was likely the case, thank you for confirming :)

Apart from the shower room (which will have the tail end of a 12/24V lighting system - all mains outside) I've cleared the notifiable work and plan on getting the BCO in as soon as we've finished a couple of tiny bits with the drains and insulation. I have a few additions to do to the lighting and a bit of tidying up after the sparky I got in for the fairly numerous lighting circuits (50 off cables).

Mostly taking the metal light switch plates off and making sure the CPC actually goes to the plate terminal as well as the box terminal as I found it didn't in at least one case... Wasn't happy with that, but he was other wise quite a helpful chap so I'll just fix that quietly.

Reply to
Tim Watts

and 16mm would carry the same current that 10mm would... ;-) (even if the reverse is not true)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's an interesting point, but at the end of the day who's going to notice anyway? Certainly not the average survey done if you decide to sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if it was made by that infamous Turkish company :-(

Reply to
Andrew

You would be hard pushed to tell even if you did a full EICR and had Tim's installation certificate in front of you.

Reply to
ARW

Except when it is 7/.052 :)

Reply to