Part P electrical certificate

Some four years ago the entire wiring installation of my sixties bungalow was redone, as part of a big renovation. For whatever reason, the electrician didn't issue the usual Part P Buiding Regs certificate: can I engage a different person to examine and test everything and then (assuming it's all OK) issue the certificate? Or does that have to be done by the original installer?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

It is possible they registered it but didn't supply you with a certificate. You can check the database here and order the certificate:

I think you can't get a third party to sign off on a Part P certificate if they didn't do the work, but you can get an EICR to check for safety.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've just been advised that, yes, only the original installer is authorised to issue the Part P certificate.

The only alternative is applying to the local council for something called a Regularisation with a Part P verification. I musy investigate that.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks for that; I'll check.

Yes, Someone else has just confirmed that.

Unfortunately it is specifically the Part P documentation that I need.

Reply to
Bert Coules

He might have sent it directly to your local authority BCO

Reply to
Andrew

Unless you are planning to move, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If you were happy with his work, that's all that matters.

Reply to
Andrew

Unfortunately, they have no record of receiving it. I just left yet another voicemail message for the installer...

Reply to
Bert Coules

Unfortunately, the BCO won't issue a completion certificate for the renovation work (the final details of which have only recently been finished) without the Part P document.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I would have thought a variation of the "intended" work with the electrical work inspected separately would be ok?

I believe you can still do your own electrical work using/informing building control, and of course paying their fees.

Reply to
Fredxx

And?

They'd have record of satisfaction of all stages up to the electrical work so in reality what does it matter?

Surely anything not "notified" can be "checked" for safety (gas/electric) and if worried about obstacles with regards to selling the purchaser simply takes out an indemnity insurance policy for a fraction of the cost of fannying about and jumping through political hoops and red tape imposed by whatever fairytale legislation the Council decide to add to their revenue generating "jobs for the boys" schemes.

Reply to
www.GymRats.uk

With the most recent revision of part P the concept of a third party certification became possible:

However that needs setting up before the work is done in theory.

Yup, probably worth finding out the cost, then you can send it to the installer and tell them you will be expecting them to pay for it if they don't send the notification :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you actually need something now? I thought that not conforming to building regulations stopped being something that has to be fixed after only two years (or something like that anway), unlike planning permssion which can come and bite you years later.

Reply to
Chris Green

Ah, that means my comment (about not needing it after two years) doesn't apply really, unless you can claim the electrical work was separate.

Reply to
Chris Green

Just to clarify some of the other comments. The Installer does not issue a Part P certificate. He informs his/her Governing body, who then issue the certificate to both the council and the householder. Sometimes this can be paper, but it is going toward all electronic now. Unless it was part of the Contract that he informs the Council, (via the Governing Body) then he doesnt have to do it. Yes, that's right, it is the Householders duty to comply, and they should ask the Workers to make sure they supply all relevant paperwork, that would include Building Regs paperwork. If it was part of the Contract, then he has a duty to get it done. You cannot retrospectively issue a Part P notification after 4 years. 6 months maybe. What will happen now, is that someone (it could be the original Installer) will need to inspect the work, complete an Electrical Installation Condition Report for the new work, and, hopefully, the Council will accept that. Have you still got the original Electrical Installation Certificate? That may be enough for the Building Control Staff. I'm working on one at the moment, I've been told to just give them the EIC when complete, that's all the Building Control want.His words were 'these emails always get lost, so send us a paper copy of the EIC, and all will be fine'. Oh, and if he didnt put in any new circuits, but extended existing, and, no bathroom zones involved, then there is no need for Part P notification.

Reply to
Alan Lee
<snip>

Does this mean if I put a loop of 2.5mm cable to and from a 13A socket, I can extend it as far as I like?

I thought I could only add spurs, and if I relaid the cable it had to follow the same route or has that all changed?

Reply to
Fredxx

Since neither I nor the council have a copy it seems most likely that this was never done.

I do still have the original certificate (which confusingly bears a Part P reference number: 601803000) but unfortunately the Council have refused to accept it and are still insisting on the Part P paperwork.

What if the original installer were to carry out a new inspection and complete a new and up to date EIC? Could he then (if all were well) request the governing body to issue the Part P certificate?

If not, according to the council's email, my only way forward is to:

Many thanks for your detailed advice.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Ah. My installation isn't listed there. So it seems that the electrician never processed the Part P certificate.

Thanks again for the link.

Reply to
Bert Coules

As I understood it, yes (and I might even do this for a cooker circuit where the location of the cooker is currently unknown). Practically speaking, the only difference between certificates would be a change in resistances.

  • Notifiable works *

The installation of a new circuit The replacement of a consumer unit Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location.

  • Non-notifiable works *

All other work is considered non-notifiable, namely additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, maintenance, replacement and repair work.

There was a significant rollback on the scope of Part P in 2013.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf