Metal Roof Costs

My wife and I need to install a new roof and are considering a metal roof (steel). We were going to do it last fall but couldn't get our act together then -- although we good some quotes.

Does anyone know how much (or if) metal roof costs have fallen since last September or so. Steel prices were very high in the fall I think and may have fallen a lot (something like 40%?). Has this effected the cost of metal roofs in that time?

Related question. What fraction of a metal roof cost is installation/labor versus material cost?

How does this relate to asphalt roof costs. Last fall costs seemed to be running about double a good asphalt roof.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Hi, What style? Tile? Raised seam panels? Metal shingles?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Although some box stores are selling metal roofing, the material cost is still double or better vs. architectural quality shingles. Factor in the extra modification needed for metal roofing and higher labor costs per square and many areas will have a factor of around three over conventional roofing. Regarding your related question, subtract $140 /square (or whatever price point your area has) from a quote and the difference is material cost, labor, contractor overhead, and profit. You do the math.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I thought I wanted a metal roof, then found the prices to be what you stated. My next thought was "If a metal roof costs 3x as much but is only guaranteed 2x as long as asphalt roofs, where's the advantage? " I stuck with asphalt shingles.

Red

Reply to
Red

They actually last a lot longer than they are guaranteed. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

The roof on my garage is guaranteed for 100 years. I can't imagine that with any other material, maybe slate.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sorry, standing seam, probably 24 guage, though one of our quotes is for

26 guage.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I bought a cabin five years ago. The roof needed work, but didn't start leaking until two years ago. I had all the shingles scraped off, and a metal roof installed. For about 1,000 sf, it was $3400. It was done with Fabral custom components. When I went to reup my insurance, they gave a hefty discount because metal doesn't burn like shingles. There are other considerations to factor into your final decision other than cost. Resale is one of them, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They may not burn but if you live in an area with snow they can bury you in snow and ice when you slam the door and the whole roof empties on you or a visiter..(think lawsuit)......With as much snow as we have had this year and last most houses with metal roofs here in Maine look like igloos with all the snow that is piled around them that has slid off the roof..A friend of mine had to put an elbow on his pellet stove vent pipe and extend it up to almost the eves and put a tee on top to keep rain/snow out of it...It looks like a periscope now....LOL....Resale could be a problem as already stated...Some don't like the look...Me included..JMHO...PITA to get on to clean chimney ect. as well...

Reply to
benick