Metal Roofs

In the throes of buying a house as we speak. It is a two-story gig with a vaulted ceiling in the upstairs. The rafters of the roof are visible in the upstairs so i'm assuming that there is pretty much no insulation between that living space and the roof. Anyways, looks like the roof leaks and is in need of a total replacement (it has shingles on top of shingles). We've got some power to negotiate this into the purchase price, but in the meantime I have a few questions regarding roofing material:

1) Do metal roofs last longer? 2) Do metal roofs (typically) cost more to install? Significantly? 3) Are metal roofs unbearably loud during a rainstorm? 4) Are metal roofs immune to ice-damming and snowpacking (State of Wisconsin) 5) Do they come in colors to match the house (black or dark brown)? 6) Are metal roofs uncommon because most people think they are "ugly"?

7) Any additional info or insight about metal roof vs. the standard asphalt shingle are appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
phaeton

Some have 50 year warranties

Yes, from what I've seen, but that may be changing as they become more popular.

No. they are far different than the old tin roof on a barn.

Can't say, but I'd think proper installation would help.

And red and blue and white.

Quality residential roofing with nice style is relatively new. Some look just like slate shingles.

Only thing that held me back when I re-roofed a few years ago was cost.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
1 yes 2 yes 3yes 4 no 6 yes Wisconsin, get their past heating bills , I would be sure I could retrofit R 60 ++up there, likely using R 7.2" foamboard, be sure to have an airspace so heat is not trapped. It wont be cheap to insulate but will be excessive to heat.
Reply to
m Ransley

If you have trees above that loose branches metal is not a good idea.

Reply to
m Ransley

There are lots of "metal" roofs. There are different materials and different installation arrangements.

I live in Charleston South Carolina where standing seam metal roofs are common. Mine was badly compromised during Hurricane Hugo. At a guess, it was installin in the late '30s and was blown off in the late '80s. I replaced it with terne coated stainless steel standing seam and do not expect to deal with it again. This is a high end material and an expensive installation and worth every penny, since the house is 35 feet high at the eaves.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Metal is just fine in this condition. I have a small rental with "tin" standing seam that has been around at least 28 years, is situated below a well grown Sycamore, and has no damage. TB

Reply to
tbasc

My metal roofs - two different metals of two different ages - are not loud during rain storms. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Hey, if you want to see alot of metal roofs, keep driving north to the U.P. Extremely common up there. I just put a carribean blue metal roof on my house about 3 years ago. Was plagued with ice dams before that and now none. The ONLY drawback I see is the snow sliding off and compacting next to the house. Unlike when I roof raked the shingle roof, I was there to move the snow immediately before it hardened. I am very happy with mine. More and more people are putting them on all the time. I work in zoning and see some great metal roofs on half million dollar houses. Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937 Kawasaki '01 Ninja 500R (soon to be mine, I hope)

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)

Excellent!

I really like the concept of metal roofs. My loony liberal side likes that they are often made of recycled steel and are a better product (environmentally) than asphalt, etc. The house itself is made from a lot of recycled barn timber so it would only make sense.

Thanks for all the comments.

Reply to
phaeton