Electric cars - running costs.

If it's a hybrid, depends on the size of the fuel tank.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

You don't say.

Reply to
bert

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

A fine example of EU red tape.

Reply to
bert

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Petrol for a boat is road petrol. Diesel for a boat can be red diesel. Sometimes... the law is complex.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You've Googled to find out what a hybrid is? Did you understand it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't understand the principle of a fuel being used purely for pleasure purposes attracting duty, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. When the decision was made to have two types of diesel, it may not have been anticipated how much pleasure boating with diesels there would be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If fuel duty is to pay for roads, why should boats pay for them?

Reply to
Max Demian

I feel the same way when I buy fuel for my lawnmower.

Reply to
charles

Up until recently it was permissible to use red/green diesel in boats.The EU put a stop to that. In Ireland they expect you to keep a total of your annual duty free purchases and send a check for the tax to the revenue. Right.

Reply to
fred

Can you give an example of any ring fenced tax? The TV licence would be the closest one.

Does the duty on alcohol all get spent on making pubs nicer? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If fuel duty and road tax revenues were spent on roads they would indeed be paved with gold.

Now general revenue is going to have start subsidising the road user as people go electric. Next thing is that we'll have to stop heating our water and using airconditioners to make up for the power shortfall.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Oh, don't "worry". The State will find some way to "recover the income".

Reply to
Huge

There is more than enough spare grid capacity overnight and weekends to recharge every vehicle an average of 2 times per week.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Or to put it another way - nowhere near enough capacity.

(and that is before you start moving significant parts of the transport and heating load onto the electrical system)

Reply to
John Rumm

the Grid might stand it, but will the local ditribution network?

Reply to
charles

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

I understand you are a total dick and expert only at stating the bleeding obvious.

Reply to
bert

Because some petty bureaucrat in Brussels saw at as boats getting away with something and changed the usage definition to "transportation" That is their only raison d'?tre. After Brexit we can allow boats to use red diesel if we wish.

Reply to
bert

So how will you stop people charging a) in the evenings b) every evening?

Reply to
bert