How to repair this concrete step

I want to patch this step so the patch doesn't come off so easily.What do I have to use,cement and some type of chemical? Thanks

Reply to
Sal Mauro

The immediate area looks like it is all deteriorating. No patch is going to stay on if the material it is attached to is falling apart. Andthat looks like the case here.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I'd clean it up and patch concrete with concrete.

Reply to
Frank

  1. Chip, grind and brush off everything loose and/or deteriorated
  2. Clean the area with acid
  3. Drill one or more appropriately sized holes
  4. Pack mortar into the holes
  5. Insert rebar "dowels" in holes so they stick out as they are to anchor the patch
  6. Form the patch with concrete if patch is large enough, mortar if not.
Reply to
dadiOH

Do I have to mix any chemicals in the concrete to make it stronger?

Reply to
Sal Mauro

I'm with James on this one. Think of repairing concrete like dental work. Before you can do any filling you have to have something that is sound and not decayed to bond to. From the pic, that step does not look like it's in good shape. But without being there it's hard to tell. What you need to do is find out if in fact you have something sound enough to salvage.

Reply to
trader4

Time for new steps nothing including concrete lasts forever.........

Reply to
bob haller

Sal Mauro wrote the following:

Your damage looks like this.

_________________ / \ ____/ \________

You want it to look like this to prevent the patch falling out.

_________________ \ / ___\ /_______

Reply to
willshak

quoted text -

Need more data, like some wider angle pictures showing the whole stoop and general condition. But yeah, that concrete does look to be questionable. I'd whack at it with a brick hammer and cold chisel, and see what else easily crumbles off. If this is the front door, and you may be reselling anytime within next several years, I'd strongly consider a rip'n'replace. A failed front stoop, along with condition of the front door, is one of the first clues people store in their heads, right behind what place looks like from the curb.

Reply to
aemeijers

I think you will find that the "patch" in this case would end up being larger than the remainder of the stairs...

Jackhammer out the remains of the stoop and start again...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

No