old dresser knobs - no screws (2023 Update)

I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the drawer front? Image is here:

The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...

Thanks.

Reply to
Matt

From the picture, it looks like part of a metal knob...one with a ribbed outside which is pressed into a hole in the drawer front and then held in place with a bolt from the back into the threaded center.

Reply to
dadiOH

Try to twist it counter clockwise. It may unscrew. WW

Reply to
WW

Matt wrote in news:ceb84bbf-c810-4143-ab01- snipped-for-privacy@5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Is that photo showing the inside face of the drawer front?

Does the drawer front appear to be made of two layers?

Reply to
Tegger

Sure look like thread-serts - if the handles or knobs are round I'd bet they thread in - just twist them counterclockwize and they should loosen and come off. (lefty loosey, righty tighty)

Reply to
clare

Reply to
hlm9249

I have the same dilemma, French Provincial furniture with set in drawer pul ls with no visable screws, yet the holes are threaded in the inside of the drawers. I haven't the guts to pull on it to loosen it up for fear of break ing the whole handle. Since I am a chalk painter; gonna have to figure a wa y to paint over them and then touch up with Rub-n-buff in a silver finish t o get the look i'm going for. This was an alternative I was given from some one who had the same piece of furniture and hardware problems.

Reply to
hlm9249

On 4/29/2018 10:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

Not public; link is login screen...

Reply to
dpb

A login is apparently needed, so I can't see your photo. Clicking on your link redirects me to:

... and no photo.

Reply to
croy

I just came across some drawer pulls the same way. They have inserts inside the hole and the pull is pressed into it. I took a small Phillips and knocked them out from the back. Becareful because you can damage the drawer face when it comes out. They are also threaded to take a standard pull screw.

Reply to
Norman