Exterior Door Knobs

I'm looking for a way to keep rain/snow from directly hitting and shortening the life of the exterior door knobs/locks on a storage and tool shed. They are metal doors. Any ideas?

Reply to
Silas

Maybe you can use the styrofoam semi-spheres that they sell in the fall to keep the outside faucets from freezing.

Reply to
mm

Lots of ideas here:

Abe

A porch?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Silas wrote in news:2vU_h.1575$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.lga:

I cover mine with aluminum foil. I used plastic wrap once, but found it traps moisture too much.

Reply to
FM

I thought about those. It seems a good idea if I could figure a way to hold them in place. The little piece of plastic that fastens around a faucet won't work with a door knob. Or will it? My imagination isn't what it used to be.

Reply to
Silas

Well, the ones I got have a black plastic coated metal hook curved about an inch and a half in diameter that does hook better around a spigot, because my spouts bend down at 45 degrees, and my faucet handle goes up at 90 degrees. I end up hooking it on the spout.

But the thing is metal and could be bent, or the curve could be opened up more. So maybe the hook could be big enough to go around the shaft of the doorknob, and at an angle closer to or at 90 degrees, to go behind the ball part.

It's held on by a wing nut on the other end of the metal rod, which is threaded, although I don't know how far down. The nut has to be backed off an inch or more to give enough slack to remove the thing.

This mean the metal rod sticks out 2 or 3 inches from the styrofoam, which isn't as neat and tidy as I would want, but I've gotten used to it, especially at the rear faucet that I never see unless I look for it. Even at the one I see everytime I come inthe house I don't dwell on it. ;)

Reply to
mm

Make a mini-awning for the knob, like the eyeshade on an older traffic light. For padlocks, farmers often use a flap of innertube, mudflap, conveyor belt sheeting, or whatever is handy. The bottom 2/3 of a clorox jug, with a hole in the bottom the right size to capture under the doorknob plate, would work, but be kinda ugly. May need a weephole in the bottom to prevent water buildup. Of course, you would always have to look to make sure a bird or spider hadn't built a home in there before sticking hand in- probably why traffic light eyeshades have no 'floor'.

The door and frame cost more than the knob. I'd look at putting a 3x4 awning over the door, and enough concrete or paver blocks in front of it (if currently dirt), to prevent splashback. Makes getting in the door in winter or during rain, a lot more pleasant.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers