Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

On or about 2008-06-03, Adrian illuminated us with:

And I think in an RX-7 (rotary engine) it's likely to mean an early trip to the mechanic. AIUI running the engine for only a short time from cold is expressly deprecated in the manual. But it's not a diseasel.

Reply to
Mark Ayliffe

Nothing quaint about furlongs. They're in daily use.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But the iEV only has a target range of 160 km so it has been weight reduced by fitting a small battery.

I want one, how much, when?

Reply to
dennis

Or at 50 mph it seems!

We drove about 25 miles in our 93 218SD (1900, non turbo). When we came back to the car park I noticed some water under the front of the car. It had been raining so I hoped it had just run out of a crevace somewhere.

About 20 miles from home I felt the heater go cold (it's never as hot as the old 2L Sierra one) and then noticed the temp gauge creeping up.

We stopped and I found one of the hoses split where it joins the oil cooler. I couldn't fix it as it was one of those crimped hose clips and I didn't have a spare clip (I did have some hose repair tape though) so just dribbled some of what water I had on board into the system and carried on.

We drove home at about 45 mph and by gentle use of the throttle and temp gauge got home with no issues.

I trimmed the hose back, filled up and it's been fine ever since! ;-)

Tough old lump that.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Like on my Messerschmitt KR200 ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You didn't get his point.

500 km range is achievable.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What is your point?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which is still twice as efficient as the best internal combustion engines. And that's assuming all electricity is made from oil.

I doubt Mitsubishi are simply using a normal wheel and sticking a motor inside. I am sure they are redisigning the whole wheel assembly from scratch to make space for the motor. They are probably looking for ways to make the wheel lighter than in an ICE car, since it has become more of a priority. The disk brake will be a different design, since it will only be needed to assist regenerative braking during emergency braking maneuvers. Finally, the driveshaft will be missing, saving some unsprung weight.

Ah, that would explain it. They do look prettier.

Childhood diseases...

Reply to
Mastuna

Mastuna gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Look at the pics.

They aren't.

It would have to be stronger, due to the much higher unsprung weight meaning there's much larger shock loadings on hitting a bump.

Roughly half of the driveshaft's weight counts as sprung, since I've always found it helpful for them to be attached at both ends.

They've only been on the market since 1991...

Reply to
Adrian

So you will juts have to put up with running costs 3-10 times higher han a battery car in a few years time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 11:15:02 on Wed,

4 Jun 2008, Doctor Drivel remarked:

In something that looks like a 1950's bubble car.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Its also a different shape and distribution so there may be different ways to arrange things. Like no engine at the front so you can have a longer crush zone without worrying where the engine is going.

Reply to
dennis

Some. Depending on the design you are sharing common bearings and a rotor case. You have to add some copper, possibly some iron, and possibly some magnets.

Of course the easiest way to reduce unsprung weight is to have much smaller wheels. Now why don't performance cars do this? Why do performance cars on the whole have much stiffer suspension than orinary cars, transferring far more shockloads to te chassiis? why do F1 cars lift wheels on kerbs when softer suspension would get the wheel moving a lot more?

unpsrung weight is nice, but its not the only or even the dominant part of suspension design.It does make for a more COMFORTABLE ride though. Most luxury cars do NOT have solid beam rear axles,. Many hot hatches do.

lllss that happen on just about every car every year..irrespective of its make or propulsion type.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Simply not true.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You don't have to put the engine at the front of an ICE, of course.

Reply to
Adrian

Thats tantamount to saying that the failure in the space shuttle was 'in a type of technology that has only been on the market for 1000 years'

Given that's probably about right for rocket fireworks.

If you did in fact know anything about Lithium batteries, you would know that there is a new twist every few months: Some of those twists bring problems.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Once batteries are produced in high volumes, it will be cheaper to manufacture an electric car than an ICE car. For the same sales price, more money can be spent on weight reduction (carbon fibre doors etc.)

I would also imagine that it is easier to optimally spread the weight of batteries around the car, rather than having most of the drivetrain's weight concentrated in the front, which requires extra strengthening of the frame.

Reply to
Mastuna

The total energy consumption of making an electric car and running it for 20 years is the marker. And that includes energy for refining fuel, its transportation and infrastructure - and energy in maintaining electrical infrastructure too. An electric car will last and last, unlike an ICE vehicle. Milk floats last well over 40 years because of the simplicity. In short, two ICE cars will be needed for the life of one electric car. That is one lot of total energy.

What pushed the electric car to the fore again was environmental - hybrids were the start. Once the inventive brains got behind it and looked into the efficiency of motors (like motor in hub), re-gen braking, battery design, etc, the economics and range started to make sense.

The electric car is feasible right now. The technology is here and is getting better, quite quickly too. Planned roll outs should be implemented. Once mass production gets hold they will drop in price and rise in efficiency.

France produces most of its power via nuclear and they are eager to implement electric cars, so much that they even installed re-charging facilities in La Rochelle.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not necessarily.

If you use extreme multipole designs, it is equivalent to gearing a 3 pole motor.You can step up the gear ratio by selecting different ways to drive the poles.

As long as the torque is sufficient to e.g. spin the wheels on a dry road,thats all you need torque wise.

Brushes? gosh Richard, its rare to find you ten years behind the times..no one uses BRUSHES. In built optical or hall sensors for wheel position and solid state commutation are the order of the day. and variable timing. If you use permanent magnets for the rotors, you don't even need slip rings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Toshibas new fast charge battery:

on the web about it. It is aimed at auto use too.

It is the total price of the car. Even if batteries are expensive, the rest of the car is cheap to make, which should make the vehicle competitive overall.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel