Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

gurgled happily, sounding much

It does.

Toyota guarantee their batteries 8 years with an expected life of 12. That is using now old technology.

Yes.
The lifetime of these vehicles is short.

< snip idiotic drivel >
Adrian wrote:

You can optimise for lifetime: Ive got 5yaer old packs that still do about 75% of what they did new.

So why are they scrapped then?
Becasue the doors rust through?
It doesn;t matter why they are scrapped: what maters is the lifetime of theweakest link,and the cost to repair, or the cots to replacce the whole car.
People expect about 15 years and 200K miles.
The cost of a exchange battery is ismply compared with te fuel savings and the cost of the annual service on an IC car, which is likley to be far more expensive.
Basically there should be NO routine service on an electric car power train at all. Tyres brakes suspension and bulb check (LED?) plus a battery quality check. Maybe a power output check, in case permanent magnets aren't..but I would expect that all to be part of the inbuilt software anyway.

No suitable batteries.
Thats the key. The newer generation of lithiums can just about do the job. Thats the key issue. No other battery has ever been able to match the efficiency, lifetime, self discharge and power to weight and energy to weight.
Theres way to go, and early batteries will not be all that good, but they are good enough right now - just - to go into small scale service. I would NOT buy an electric car right now without a full scale battery warranty, though. I expect there will be plenty of issues related to them. But if the manufacturers stand behind the customers and simply fix the issues, why not?
Adrian wrote:

Exactly. But its still inefficient, and still rare.

Its true. It is POSSIBLE. Its just very expensive and very prototype.

Its a lot more environmentally friendly than a traditional car,with lead starter batteries, high energy iron and aluminum castings, etc etc.
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:26:20 -0700 (PDT), Mastuna wrote:

In English 310 miles, the full to "running on air" range of my car is just over 600 miles. I normally fill up somewhere between 450 and 500 miles.
--
Cheers
Dave.

It says:
"Electric cars have other environmental benefits: they do not produce the particulates associated with burning fossil fuels. The American Lung Association found in a study that switching to electric cars in California alone would save at least $2.2bn (1.1bn, ?1.4bn) a year in health costs related to people's exposure to fine particulate matter from conventional cars and that 300 cases of premature death, 260 cases of chronic bronchitis and more than 7,000 asthma attacks could be avoided each year as a result. They are also less noisy."
http://www.calcars.org/vehicles.html They install a main charging system and larger batteries for the Prius giving an extended range. As batteries get better, merely by changing the batteries, to a different type and a larger bank, the car can be transformed.
These people are going the right way. Look at: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html