Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

In message , at 17:09:13 on Wed, 28 May 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Listen.... the poles and sockets aren't the problem. Getting power to the poles *is*. Think a 300 space car park: ho much wiring and how many amps is that?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

17:33:59 on Wed, 28 May 2008, Dave Liquorice remarked:

You will probably have to make increasing sacrifices as a consequence of that lifestyle decision, as fuel gets more expensive.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I suspect that for a significant part of the country (in terms of population), the costs of congestion are a much greater factor.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Some businesses move stuff long distances by road because they can, when there are local alternatives available, often at lower cost. Supermarkets spring to mind.

Reply to
<me9

Yep, I accept that and we already do. It's to far to go for a trip to a decent cinema, the theatre or even a good indian restaurant. But it's far better living here than on an anonymous estate where you don't even see your neighbours 10 yards away let alone know them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fools do laugh at nothing at all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I never assume anything

Live. I am selective about TV.

Incorrect. If there is a risk of litigation, there is certainly attention to detail

Not particularly. One simply has to look at the circumstances

Reply to
Andy Hall

I read somewhere it only cost him £9,000 to make.

This one manages 250Km/155miles but is a tad more expensive..

due to the fancy web site. Click on "power".

Reply to
CWatters

I don't have a TV. Virtually all broadcast TV that I've seen in recent years has been dumbed down tosuch an extent that the company known as 'TV Licensing' can't offer me value for money, so I eschew their product.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , at

00:18:04 on Thu, 29 May 2008, CWatters remarked:

If it's hone-made, does it avoid all the rules about being tested for crash-worthiness, damaging pedestrians etc?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at

21:43:41 on Wed, 28 May 2008, Dave Liquorice remarked:

It's far better living where I do - in a leafy middle class suburb built in the 30's - than on an anonymous estate where you don't even see your neighbours 10 yards away let alone know them.

I have several good Indian restaurants within a few minutes walk, a choice of shops from small family run ones to large supermarkets within a mile, and a very decent cinema ten minutes away on a bus that runs about every five minutes.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No worse than a medium factory.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What doesn't these days?

They did that round here for

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. I would be doing the same in your shoes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 07:20:07 on Thu, 29 May 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

I'm surprised a medium factory would take that much power, but the most difficult part inside the car park is wiring up every bay to the feed.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 07:34:57 on Thu,

29 May 2008, Adrian remarked:

Why would it matter - I assume people will be paying to use these 'poles'.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Surely there are already metal poles in the ground wired for electricity in many car parks? You'd need thicker cabling to each of these new "poles", and many more circuits back to a substation, but I don't think this is going to be as much as a problem as the capacity issues further up.

If we give the car 15 Amps at 240V say, for a 200 place carpark, that's 3000A. Which is about the amperage at which you want to start considering a dedicated substation, and certainly one where you want multiple drops.

Perhaps it would make more sense to feed these poles at, say, 11kV and give them each 1/3A. You may want to transform that down in each pole, or else provide a safety interlock in the connector.

But, why are we doing this again?

Dan.

Reply to
Dan Sheppard

I think this is the most intelligent comment in this whole thread! It does have its compensations, though.

I think that private transport has also increased the number of such journeys that we make. Certainly public transport increased the spread of people, and the distances they moved when it was the only option, so I think it's reasonable to think that private transport probably did similarly.

This is a pain. Three hours is a bit extreme, though. If I'm late for a meeting (usually via the railway station) because of Stagecoach messing up, I order a taxi. Makes some of the villages less useful, but that might actually revitalise our cities beyond a few people rattling around in lofts.

I think that as soon as more stroppy people start using the buses they will improve. At the moment there's a placid passivity to bus users because anyone who can't manage to sustain a "thank you, dear Stagecoach, for the buses you deign to run" approach arranges alternative transport. With a few acts of bottom-line hitting civil disobedience, alternative services, reported "fact" checking, etc, when the militants come on board, they'll get their act sorted.

Judgeing by the speed of the ambulance response around here, YCBW. I think Panther may well operate the best ambulance service within the city. This is almost certainly not the fault of the service, of course, it's probably caused by all the private transport they have to battle through in those big vehicles (which are obviously ncessary for someone who's badly hurt), and which they're increasingly getting around by having a wider fleet.

Dan.

Reply to
Dan Sheppard

Dan Sheppard gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not in the one at the back of this office building.

That'd certainly be an effective way to ensure people learn to park without ripping bollards out of the ground...

Reply to
Adrian

In message , at 11:24:41 on Thu,

29 May 2008, Dan Sheppard remarked:

I don't recall seeing any. There's the lighting, of course, but that's orders of magnitude too low capacity for this.

TNP seems to think a 300 place car park is the same as a small factory, but I'm sceptical he hasn't dropped a zero somewhere.

That'll be good to stop people stealing the power for their houses, but doesn't sound very "all weather" to me.

So we drive more than 5 miles a day in an electric car :)

Reply to
Roland Perry