Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

In message , at

21:24:37 on Tue, 27 May 2008, CWatters remarked:

Well, it's a "car" I suppose. Not exactly room for a family of four and their shopping.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:22:55 on Tue, 27 May 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Wring bit of the infrastructure. The problem is having enough power delivered to the "socket in pole" and domestic equivalent.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:51:52 on Tue, 27 May 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

The tails to people's houses are one thing. But the substations and power beneath the streets is something else!

Reply to
Roland Perry

I've picked up the front of a Hillman Avenger to get the axle stands out..

it got some poor passing kid a whack around the ear...

"mummy, mummy, that man just picked up a car", "don't tell lies", whack!

Some people shouldn't have kids.

Reply to
dennis

Many years ago I used to use a garage which had them fitted. It was technically not self-service - owner said that if he went self-service he would have to remove the thingies - he put it down to insurance requirements. (In reality, most of the customers were locals who actually filled their own while chatting to owner/owner's wife.)

Reply to
Rod

So are UK ones, ask your chauffer.

That is too meet the total emissions requirement for the cars. If you suck the vapour back into the tank it allows you more kerbside emissions when driving.

Reply to
dennis

Yes. I apologise but can't do anything about it now :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Its a hybrid, it has to be green, ask drivel. What's more it stores all the emissions until it is away from the kerbs so it can have zero kerbside emissions.

Reply to
dennis

So we are to assume you spend 24 hrs a day watching petrol stations looking for fuel spills? I have never seen a plane crash, or a train crash but they happen. I bet you haven't seen one either so are you are going to say they don't happen either? People that stupidly state "I have never seen one" and expect anyone to take any notice are, well, being stupid.

Reply to
dennis

You're.

Yaw welcome.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Green

That's nonsense as there are other failure modes than a tank overflowing.

Reply to
dennis

In message , at

11:35:45 >

Where do you live?

My weekly shop is about two miles, and I don't do a monthly shop as the weekly place has everything I need (that isn't within walking distance already).

An electric car shouldn't be affected by altitude. Are you starting the trip from the top or the bottom?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Arthur Clark's book "The Fountains of Paradise" springs to mind as the ultimate example of what you're stating!

Reply to
Richard Torrens

I've encountered pumps where the cutoff doesn't work reliably (and got a leg splashed in petrol as a result). Had these pumps been able to run unattended, I'm not keen on the idea of what might have happened.

Reply to
Sarah Brown

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

My car is green as well but the wrong sort of green. BRG as opposed to mean green. :-)

Reply to
Roger

Andy doesn't use petrol pumps so he doesn't know they are the same in the UK and he hasn't thought about what would happen if the nozzle fell out or if someone tripped over it, etc.

Reply to
dennis

The Toyota Highlander is a 7 seater SUV with a hybrid option, so would have more cargo space (with back seats taken out). It's a US model only though, AFAIK, so you would have to pay to import it, and put up with left hand drive or possibly pay to convert that too. And I don't know if anyone does a plug-in conversion yet.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

In message , at 13:12:05 on Tue, 27 May 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Motorail was always hugely loss-making, yet expensive. A rare lose/lose situation! It just doesn't scale very well.

Reply to
Roland Perry

A lot of attended pumps could be latched on (whilst still maintaining an auto(when working) cutoff). The rush to self service pumps put a stop to the legal use of them.

Reply to
<me9

Excellent to use though. I remember Motorail from our family holidays about 30 years ago. We'd drive to London, park the Maxi in it's train carriage, go to bed in the sleeper car and wake up the next morning in Scotland. I can't think of a better way of doing it.

Naich.

Reply to
Naich