OT: Electric car batteries

Back in the day I was about 6' 2" and 200 pounds. Watching me get in and out must have been entertaining, particularly with the top up. The funny thing was a friend had a 3000 I drove a couple of times and I found the Sprite more comfortable. I don't know about the new ones but Corvettes were the same. I'd looked at a '65 Stingray and I realized it wasn't going to work unless I wanted to drive around with my chin on my knees.

When the Fiero came out I stopped at the dealer's to take a look. A salesman who had sold my a Firebird a couple of years before yelled across the showroom 'They don't make those in your size.' Another time I went in to buy a Porsche 914 and left with an Audi. Should have stayed with the Porsche; the Audi had ergonomically designed seats that went with somebody else's ergo. It's the only car that I really came to dislike. Well, there was the Fiat Spyder. It was comfortable enough but it should have come with a small Italian mechanic in the trunk.

Reply to
rbowman

Fix It Again Tony!!!

Reply to
clare

Tetraethyl lead. As an additive it improved the octane rating so 'ethyl' gasoline was the good stuff. Like cigars and freon it is very unpopular these days.

Reply to
rbowman

Sounds like the family picnics when I was a kid. The Quebec Frog branch liked their beer warm; the German branch went for well chilled. At least until the ice all melted but at that point in the game, who cares?

Reply to
rbowman

I had a Plymouth that surprised some of the MGB and TR4 set. The suspension wasn't exactly stock.

Reply to
rbowman

Sounds a bit like my '63 Valiant. Lowered on all 4 corners with oversized shocks - cornered like it was on rails and with 206 rwhp had a top speed past the top of the speedo.. 60 in 1st, 90 in 2ndand burried the speedo in 3rd. It wasn't particularly quick - but it WAS fast

Reply to
clare

Valiants were good cars but I really preferred the 1st generation. I never had one but my mother bought a Gold Duster. Her theory was it would prevent her from becoming the duty driver when her friends wanted to go someplace. It was also the first automatic she'd ever driven and I had to do a little coaching. She'd only been driving since the '20s but was a little late getting into newfangled stuff like automatics and power steering.

Reply to
rbowman

I had a car with lowered suspension. I kept removing parts of the underside every time I went over a speedbump or an uneven road. Terrible idea.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

We had "super unleaded" which made absolutely no difference when I used it. It was supposed to be 98 octane instead of 95.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Exits the grasp of the EU morons giving us instructions on how powerful our vacuum cleaners are allowed to be.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Why on earth would any sensible person think that having a second set of loony politicians throwing rules at us is a good idea?

Why on earth would any sensible person think that being in a little private group of countries improved trade and business in any way shape or form? We trade with countries outside the EU just fine.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

A car that gets 80 miles per charge is not worth buying. Even the basic electric cars quote 130 miles, and the fancy ones are 250 miles. But anyway, the thing we're discussing here is should we charge for 30 minutes, or swap batteries? You do a 700 mile journey with an 80 mile battery, and you need about 10 charges. Would you really prefer 5 hours of sitting about to 7.5 minutes?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Why are you thinking about solar? You guys do have electricity to your home for heating, lighting, etc don't you? You can get enough current off that to charge a car in some hours.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I have a touring Harley that has that same effect on SportyBike riders - and for the same reason .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Precisely my point. Only a few different designs, you can walk into a shop and exchange any cylinder without problems. So the same can happen with car batteries.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I would have loved to nhave a 1st gen (60/62?) with an aluminum 225 and 4bbl 4 speed. VERY rare. The 3rd gen was nice too. I know a guy has a "baracuda station wagon" sustom. Concept car using2 door valiant with starion wagon rear quarters and cuda front sheet metal - FABULOUS car. All factory mopar parts -off the shelf.

Reply to
clare

The lowered Valiant had less problems with ground clearance than the stock Pacer - rgw K member may as well have been a grader blade on that one.

Reply to
clare

Higher octane doesn't do anything for low compression vehicles. You appear to be about as dumb as a couple of rocks. Are you SURE you aren't Me McCaw????

Reply to
clare

Because at about 20 cents per KWh electricity isn't cheap - and at peak demand we can't get enough power from the grid to run everything else - much-less charge all the cars.

Reply to
clare

I'm not a mechanic, most people aren't. If I stick a 9V battery on a 3V motor, it'll go faster, whether it was meant to or not.

You're the slowest of everyone in any newsgroup.

Reply to
James Wilkinson