OT: Electric car batteries

Page 5 of 11

Doesn't work like that over here. Policeman would lose his job very quickly.
--
A female news anchor who, the day after it was supposed to have snowed and didn't, turned to the weatherman and asked, "So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?"

On 06/24/2016 01:53 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Yeah. I can buy a shiny new Ford Focus electric model that gets 80 odd miles per charge and strains to make 84 mph. If I wanted to take 6 days to get to Billings I'd ride a bicycle.

A car that gets 80 miles per charge is not worth buying. Even the basic electric cars quote 130 miles, and the fancy ones are 250 miles. But anyway, the thing we're discussing here is should we charge for 30 minutes, or swap batteries? You do a 700 mile journey with an 80 mile battery, and you need about 10 charges. Would you really prefer 5 hours of sitting about to 7.5 minutes?
--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"
On 06/25/2016 07:51 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I'd really prefer filling the gas tank about three times. Anyway I need to take a leak every so often and scrape the bugs off the windshield.
The local Triumph/Yamaha dealer is flogging Zero bikes:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
Decent looking and good performance but the same problem. Other than a commuter or an urban bar hopper, they just don't have the range. At $10-$15K they are more competitive with standard bikes than electric cars. The cheaper electric cars don't have the range and the ones with minimally acceptable range are up in the $50-$70K range.
If I lived in an urban area they might be interesting. I'm sure the neighbors would prefer a whirrrrr to the Harley firing up.

sic

urs

And swapping the battery is the same if not quicker than that.

Which doesn't take 30 minutes. And don't you have washers on your wipers?

I don't ride motorcycles, but I love the sound of something like a Harley.
-- FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes. Excellent condition, 200 or best offer. No longer needed, got married, wife knows everything.
On 06/25/2016 12:20 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

I take it you've never driven through a herd of carolina locusts at 80 mph...

Trust me -- if Harley ever makes an electric bike they'll need to install a high quality stereo system to make it sound right. Come to think of it, I believe there are electric cars to do simulate the sound of real cars so they don't annihilate too many pedestrians.

So use more detergent.

If you don't have a white stick you have no excuse for not seeing an electric car coming.
I hope they don't make them all simulate engine noise. One of the nice things about everybody having an electric car would be quietness.
--
A single blonde pregnant girl goes to the grocery store. A couple that she knows notices she's pregnant.
The lady asks her, "Whose baby is it?"
On 06/26/2016 04:39 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

It's not seeing them, it's hearing them. For example I have a mirror on my bicycle but in most cases I hear cars coming without even checking the mirror. Then there are the assholes who blow their horns when overtaking a bike but I won't go there.
Same thing with pedestrians. I don't cross a street merely because I don't hear a car coming but the auditory cue does add information, particularly when the sight lines are short.

Then you'll have to use the mirror.

The official rule in the UK for the horn is to "warn of your presence", which is what he's doing :-)

Precisely - you don't cross until you're sure. I go by sight, but don't bother looking if can hear it. If the cars were all silent, I'd have to look, but I'd be in no more danger.
--
Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF: Incompetent User.

On 06/26/2016 05:10 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Probably a moot point since 95% of the population walks around with ear buds shoved into their skulls. talking to imaginary companions. There have already been cases of people too absorbed in texting that they failed to notice freight trains.

So let them get removed form the gene pool. Why do we care about them?
--
Yesterday scientists in the USA revealed that beer contains small traces of female hormones.
To prove their theory they fed 100 men 12 pints of beer and observed that 100% of them started talking nonsense and couldn't drive.

Same reason I don't use the high priced Blue Rhino gas tanks. I don't want someone else's crap when I have a good one that I bought with my money.
If I can charge my car at home, why would I want to pay to swap a battery? Only useful for long tips, not needed and will cost a premium for short trips.
Limited market, high price.

Clearly a different payment system would have to operate. Part of the payment for the swap could pay for battery replacement when they wear out. You'd buy a new electric car knowing the battery you have will always be of operating condition. Every time you swap it it's checked to see if it's past it's usable life, then chucked out if it is.

People who often go more than their car's range before returning home is not a limited market.
--
Girl with skirt up run faster than boy with trousers down!!

On 6/22/2016 10:14 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Limited to people going out of range. How many, how often? You need the answers to see how viable and yes, that is a limited market.
Those communing a few miles to work and trips to the store can just plug in.
What are the numbers?

I'd say considerable, as it's range that stops most people from buying electric cars. But those people only probably need the quick service a few times a year for holidays.
--
Take notice: when this sign is under water, this road is impassable.

On 6/22/2016 1:58 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Take that to your investors and see how far you get. Lets start with an existing building that you can refurb. Up front it can be $100,000 plus rest of $2,000 a month. Add in some chargers at 2k or so each. Storage racks, tools, lifting equipment. You must be open at least 12 hours a day in rural areas, 16 to 24 in big cities. One person manning the station at $15/hr+
I can charge at home for $8. How much will it take to give me a battery swap?

If it's still considerably less than petrol, you'd pay for it for convenience.
--
Avoid messes.. Remember to cover cat before microwaving.

On 6/22/2016 4:25 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

If. The cost of gasoline in the US is about $.073 per mile for my car. The cost to charge an electric is about $.08. Economicaly it is not worth buying, certainly not to pay a premium for charging at a swap station. That will change with market conditions. l

I don't know how you're getting those figures, but when I looked at the electric cost it was about 5 times less than petrol. Sure our petrol costs more, but so does our electricity.
--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.

On 7/4/2016 10:57 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Using the Tesla numbers but at the actual rate that we pay in this area https://www.teslamotors.com/models-charging#/calculator
Petrol cost is my actual cost and use. It will vary for different vehicles and fuel prices.