O/T: Warm Enough

Take your choice, wild fires in the west or oppressive heat waves thru out much of the rest of the country, global warming is upon us.

Shall we continue to ignore the effect of green house gases?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4fefb356$0$44942 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I'm not sure we have enough information to make a really informed determination of what's going on. We've really only kept detailed weather records on a national or even global scale for the past couple hundred years at most, which could just be a "mood" the planet is going through considering its apparent age.

From my time on this planet, heat waves during the summer are normal. Don't see how global warming will affect that. It'll be 90 one week and

100 the next, that's just movement of the jet stream. If the jet stream shifts to bring air down from Canada, it'll cool down again.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

it was hotter the entire year of 1934. Fuck your global warming that is a farce.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Will you change your mind next Winter? I didn't think so.

Reply to
krw

The main "greenhouse gas" is water vapor, so by your logic forest fires are caused by high humidity.

Reply to
Just Wondering

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4fefb356$0$44942 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Whether or not part of the warming trend is NOT man-made, it seems clear to me that recklessly adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere is not smart. So stop farting. Ride you bicycle more, etc, etc.

Reply to
Han

Not according to the A holes who say it's not happening. But those of us with brains recognize that the past few years the swings have been out of whack. Records everywhere. Record high temps in the winters, record snow falls, record low temps.

The Deleware river has had 3 100 year floods in just a couple of years.

Those people who say its not global warming are the same people that say tobacco doesn't cause cancer. And fracking is harmless. And so on.. Like our congress critters who say SS will be there for us. The head up their ass guys and gals.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Oh good God,ITS SUMMER!!!!!

The sky is not falling.

Reply to
Leon

Expect that, it's been hotter.... much hotter. Hint: Greenland... it was green. :-)

And tell me this, why is it ok for man-caused GW alarmists to use weather to support their claims but when when GW opponents use it, the alarmists smugly chastise us for confusing climate with weather?

Reply to
-MIKE-

There were many cycles of warming and cooling long before there were enough humans to affect the atmosphere.

Having doctored reports from one agency makes *all* of the "evidence" suspect.

I can't disprove global warming, but we're currently on the high side of a sunspot cycle which fits with 100 degrees in the afternoon and 75 degrees at night. Wouldn't true global warming also increase the nighttime temperatures?

Reply to
news

Tobacco causes cancer? Science has YET to define the mechanism. All that the health folks can say is that there is a very, very strong correlation. But science also holds that correlation is not causation.*

Fracking is harmless? Again, geologists and others have not yet shown whether fracking is or is not harmless.

SS will be there for us? We have no way of knowing for sure whether SS will be there, and we cannot know until the time arrives.

Your examples are based on speculation, guesses, perhaps a tendency, but not on reproducible experiments. Just like global warming, er... "climate change."

---------

  • There is strong "evidence" (if you hold that correlation implies causation) that pickles are hazardous! Virtually everyone who ate at least one pickle before 1900 is, today, either dead or has white hair and no teeth.
Reply to
HeyBub

  1. Those caught up in the hype are only interested in the here and now, using past data and trends is way too complicated to form a logical reality. They want to use the information from those that are making money off of the hype.
  2. Those caught up in the hype believe that cleaning up the air and environment will lessen the worlds annual Summer season. Like #1 above they don't like to admit that this so called "change" has happened on their watch. Prior to cleaning up the environment and pollution there was no "change".
Reply to
Leon

Ok, not fair!!! Logical observations muddy up the hype.

Reply to
Leon

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4fefb356$0$44942 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I'm not sure we have enough information to make a really informed determination of what's going on. We've really only kept detailed weather records on a national or even global scale for the past couple hundred years at most, which could just be a "mood" the planet is going through considering its apparent age.

From my time on this planet, heat waves during the summer are normal. Don't see how global warming will affect that. It'll be 90 one week and

100 the next, that's just movement of the jet stream. If the jet stream shifts to bring air down from Canada, it'll cool down again. =================================================================== You are talking to someone who prays to Al Gore before going to bed at night.
Reply to
CW

Really... you are a total misguided idiot.

So the fact that people can light their water coming out of the tap on fire is nothing. No fact. You stick your head in the ground... far in the ground..

Reply to
tiredofspam

So the fact that glaciers are melting means nothing.

Chamonix's glaciers have disappeared. I remember watching how the glacier that the Olympics were held on in 72 I think if I remember are gone.

Yes it could be just a phase. Like how England's phase of pollution caused problems there.

All in all, I remember winters differently. I remember colder, I remember more consistent snow. I also remember years with little snow.

While I don't think that in itself in indicative, I do believe the wild swings are. Again, we have had 3 x 100 year floods in a couple of years. Those types of floods were literally once per hundred.

I guess the ozone depletion at the poles is nothing also.

Yes that is measured. But your right there is no .. .absolutely no proof ...

I don't believe in hysteria, but I do believe that this earth while huge can only absorb so much toxicity. Millions of years ago these toxins were at the surface. But the earth transformed. We in a 100 years have reversed many millions of years. Add to that natural occurring phenomena, and we have put a load on the atmosphere and it is saying , hey , I can't convert this crap. Add the loss of forests, first in Europe centuries ago, now in the Americas, and our ability to filter or turn the toxins around is diminished. The way the forests are being burned in the southern hemisphere just adds to the problem.

Keep believing what you want. You sound like the guys that believed the tobacco companies. I had worked for companies that lied so badly, I don't trust most. I know what they do, and how far they are willing to go. My first dose of it came in the aviation and space industry. Later in the Pharma. Trust the oil companies? Not on your life. Remember the phony oil crisis? Remember the tobacco guys. Cigs don't cause lung cancer. Fracking, it doesn't hurt the water supply. Why did GW relax the clean water act for those guys then?

I guess it depends on which side you want to stand on. But I'd like to leave my son a world that has a chance. If you are wrong, he won't have that chance. If I am wrong, I did nothing wrong, and was a good steward. If your wrong you couldn't give a rats ass you'll be dead.

I think that we can survive and prosper with proper conservation. Certainly all our plastics are not necessary. We survived many years without the packaging we do now in the stores. Our garbage is out of control...

Lew maybe the extreme zealot, but everyone should consider that it is a real possibility. If you are wrong and thought it not happening your actions may be irreversible. If you believed and did what you could and were wrong, what harm did you do to?

Take __some resp>

Reply to
tiredofspam

Well Lew if you put a cork in your ass to stop methane emissions....

Mark

Reply to
Markem

The fact that people can and do commit fraud is no surprise to anyone. The fact that this fraud isn't reported by the press, isn't any more surprising.

Reply to
krw

Al Gore sends lots of KoolAid To California

Reply to
Leon