So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow removal here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway is 660 and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called others from the Yellow Pages, no dice. Another foot of snow expected Tues.-Wed. Death by starvation. Never thought I'd go out this way.
Reply to
Stranded

The unemployed people all went out and bought trucks with snow plows and signed up to get listed in the Yellow Pages, but the new edition with their names and numbers hasn't come out yet.

In the meantime, they're all hanging out on the street corner waiting for you to drive along and hire them. Got enough shovels?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Blame global warming!!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:10:52 GMT, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote Re So Where Are All These Unemployed People?:

"here" where?

"660" what? yards? feet?

Informative post.

Anyway, to answer you question: the unemployed are probably home watching TV and thinking about who there will vote for in the next election. Just like always.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Many of those unemployed folks have flocked to the states where the economy is in fairly decent shape, Texas in particular. The apparent unemployment rate in TX is lower than most states, even though it appears higher than it really is due to all the unemployed folks flocking here to find work.

Reply to
Pete C.

I would assume he meant 66°, 66 degree slope of the driveway.

To insert the degree symbol, press and hold ALT while typing

0176 which makes this " ° "

I have no regular job and I have no problem finding work. There is work to be done everywhere, my problem is I tend to push myself too hard and have to spend time recovering. I can't understand someone who will limit themselves as to what work they will do.

TDD©

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Me and most of my neighborhood were all set for the snow with snow throwers and generators. Neighbor in back, with drive longer than yours, did it with a snow thrower and we had just as much snow as you.

Reply to
Frank

Oh I have a whole house Kohler generator but power from the elec. co. wasn't interrupted -- this time.

But you can't eat propane.

Can't imagine anyone doing a real long drive with a walk behind snow thrower especially with 2 ft. of snow. He must have a huge machine and probably had to refill his tank a dozen times.

Reply to
Stranded

Very well could be. Weather extremes are one symptom.

Reply to
Bob F

A 66 degree driveway would not be driveable.

Reply to
Bob F

What are you, a princess? Looking for reasons to whine about your self-created situation instead of doing something about it? Get off the internet and deal.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Was on the phone most of the morning trying to "deal."

Young people don't want to work today; they want someone to take care of them. And they whine that they're unemployed.

Landscapers advertise "snow removal" in the phone book but it's just a waste of print.

Reply to
Stranded

If we were actually seeing any weather extremes I might believe that, however the weather we are seeing now matches nicely with the weather we saw around 30 years and change ago, and 30 years before that, etc. This stuff runs in cycles and the current crop of global warming alarmists is too young and / or has too short an attention span to realize that what we are seeing now is nothing new.

Reply to
Pete C.

A 66% grade might be, but only to a tracked vehicle.

Reply to
Pete C.

No, but you can indeed eat the rabbits, squirrels and deer that are around. If you get snowed in and starve it's due to a lack of survival skills, not a lack of available food.

2' of snow simply means 2 to 3 sessions of snow blowing as the snow is coming down, i.e. 8"-12" at a time. With a decent machine and that 8"-12" depth to move, figure 10 min max per 100' of driveway.
Reply to
Pete C.

Nah! The Winter Olympics people accepted the low bid for the phone system, and the person at the Snow order desk thought they said "DC" instead of "BC."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

They don't call you The Daring Dufas for nothing.

If you read it the way you ASSUME, it would read "66 degrees AND STEEP" which would make absolutely no sense, and you'd need an M1A2 Abrams tank to drive down it.

Read "660 feet long and steep," it would make sense.

Feet or yards, doesn't matter at that point. It's a long driveway either way, and steep.

As long as the government checks keep rolling in, there's no incentive to NOT limit yourself.

Reply to
mkirsch1

After 24" of snow there aren't too many landscapers looking for new customers. They're going 24/7 just trying to clear out the customers they already have.

If you do find a landscaper that isn't busy as hell right now, you probably don't want him to clear your driveway.

Hell, I doubt if a landscaper could even touch your driveway with a pickup and blade. He'd just bounce off the snowbank at the end of the driveway. The farmer would be scooping at that bank for hours just to get himself off the road. You really need someone with a big 10- wheeler and a V-plow, or a big tractor and snowblower.

Call your farmer friend and ask him if he knows another farmer with a cab tractor and a snowblower that might be willing to come dig you out.

Reply to
mkirsch1

You assume Stranded could even run a snowblower... He sounds pretty old, probably in his 70's with the problems any normal 70-something would have. Most people over 70 have no business running a snowblower in a typical short

Reply to
mkirsch1

Sure sounds like a girly man...Get off your ass and start shoveling...Everyone else including the unemployed are doing the same..What do you think you're the only one that got snowed in ? That the unemployed got passed over... Jesh , some people...You deserve to go hungry....

Reply to
benick