So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

Try Craigslist.org. People on there begging to plow your drive.

I have a flat 225 ft double wide drive. We got over 15" of snow the day before yesterday. It was a wet snow it boot. I have a 24" snow blower. Was done in an hour and no strain, no shoveling.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

By 'deal' I meant get *your* butt out the door and start shoveling. You created the situation by choosing a property with such a driveway. You should have had a contingency plan in place for when Plan A (somebody else clears your driveway) fails to execute. Apparently, you hadn't. Okay, time to grab the shovel and start digging your way out. Or, put on your boots and walk out. Either approach will get you further than will griping on the internet about your inability to find someone else to deal with your problem.

And I would suggest that you acquire one of the following if you plan on keeping the property: A. a snowblower; B. a truck/plow combination; C. a snowmobile. Then you'll be prepared if Plan A fails again in the future.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:14:08 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote Re Re: So Where Are All These Unemployed People?:

+1 here. BTW, then you are not unemployed. You "work for yourself".
Reply to
Caesar Romano

He did it. Not sure how big his snow thrower is but when I looked out, his wife was using it and he was shoveling. He's a doctor and probably had to get to work. His drive is over 700 ft.

My snow thrower is 24 inches and drive is about 90 ft which with walkway took 45 minutes and tank of gas. Fresh snow was easy to move and I think I could have done neighbors with my thrower in a few hours.

Reply to
Frank

30-35 years ago, the old lady and I shoveled the driveway. Three of the snowfalls were in the 20-24" range and it took a week for each one to complete the job. Sometimes we just kept the vehicle at the bottom of the hill and walked up to the house. Then we found the farmer.

Can't shovel like that anymore.

Would love like hell to have a blade installed on my Chev. Colorado. But I'm a klutz when it comes to blue collar stuff that you tool heads are so good at. I'm reading on the Internet about the necessity of having truck with heavy duty transmission, axle, suspension. I doubt if a Colorado fits the bill. Then it talks about ballast in the bed, whatever that means. And hell, those blades have got to be hundreds of lbs. So you take it off in Spring and just let it fall to the ground. No way can I dead lift hundreds of lbs. anymore. Didn't realize a snow blade was so complex.

Reply to
Stranded

If you're that incompetant, you should move to the city.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Check out the Home Owner Plows built by SnowBear or Fisher...I have one for

4 years and love it...My snowbear weighs about 300 pounds and will fit any truck...It uses an electric winch to raise and lower the plow with remote in thr cab..You do have to angle it by hand but it's a breeze...I LOVE it...About 1500 bucks....
Reply to
benick

You assume Stranded could even run a snowblower... He sounds pretty old, probably in his 70's with the problems any normal 70-something would have. Most people over 70 have no business running a snowblower in a typical short

Reply to
benick

Forgot to add it sits on a little cart you just wheel up to the truck...No lifting..

Reply to
benick

Correct. The report I read said the umemployment rate was up to 8.3% (from 8.0) but 62,000 jobs had been added. The only way that can happen is more folks moving in than jobs created.

Reply to
aasberry

It's quite simple if you ponder it.

Reply to
Steve B

Everyone wants a job, but no one wants to work.

Reply to
Steve B

It's government math. The those capable of working but who have given up looking for work are not counted amongst the "unemployed."

Reply to
HeyBub

I certainly disagree about moving into the city.

However, having a backup snow clearing plan such as a decent lawn tractor with snowblower attachment and cab would certainly be a reasonable thing. 660' is not that far and even at 70 driving a lawn tractor with a cab shouldn't be too strenuous.

Reply to
Pete C.

Don't mention "job" or "work". I break out in hives.

Reply to
Oren

Ask around to learn if there's a day-labor center near you. Most towns have one, and you might be able to put a little crew together to shovel you out, assuming you can find shovels. Your driveway sounds like mine, except shorter. I own a Bobcat, but it only has a bucket, not a plow. Of course, I'm in the north where plows are everywhere. I've had the same guy do my basic driveway for years now, and then I go out and clean up with the Bobcat. If the plow guy is away, he always has someone to cover for him.

Everything seems upside-down this year. We've had snow, but not a lot of it, and normally-warmer places have been colder than here.

Your problem is that you need food. Can you get a store to deliver where you are? Around here, the Stop&Shop chain does, and maybe you could get it to the bottom of your driveway. Rig up a sled of some sort and go get it.

good luck.

Keith

Gawd! People fail to see the humor......

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Staying home collecting Obama checks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Where my check be at?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yup. Netgrocer.com. Fedex next day. Or...if you're like normal people, call a local food store and ask for delivery. If you really can't manage to clear a shovel's width to the road you absolutely MUST have a main plan and a backup for clearing snow. Failing that, move into an apt or other place that does the upkeep for you. How did you manage to live this long?