So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

There's no way FedEx or anyone else will climb this hill with 24+ inches on the ground and another 20 in. on the way tomorrow and Wed. If they leave it down below, might be tough to retrieve it walking down and then up a hill with 4 ft. of snow cover.

Might be time to get into one of those retirement communities where you start out independent and then move to higher levels of care as you deteriorate.

Reply to
Stranded

Where I live now I only have a double wide by 30 feet driveway. Just use a snow shovel. Keeps me in shape. But I am only 82. ww

Reply to
WW

Over yonder.

Reply to
Oren

Neither are those who are working part time or flipping burgers with masters degrees. Funny how some people were all too willing to count those when the unemployment rate showed 5% but totally ignore them when they are in control and the unemployment is 10%.

Reply to
BobR

Nobody actually flips burgers any more- they have droids that do that. All the human has to do is load the hockey pucks in the hopper, and assemble the burgers at the other end. Saves on training and insurance. Lean over and look at the register next time you buy junk food. Around here, half the registers have pictures instead of numbers....

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, May I ask how old you are? All I know is during summer I can't see any snow caps on the Rockies which were there even 20 years ago. Columbia Ice field is retreating like crazy even you young guy like me can notice. I had to install central air couple years ago. Korea experienced coldest/snowy winter in 60 years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The earth does not stay static for our convenience, it continues to go through it's normal cycles and changes whether we like it or not.

Reply to
Pete C.

Who dat be done got my check? Where it at?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:28:40 -0600, "Pete C." wrote Re Re: So Where Are All These Unemployed People?:

Exactly.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Or, they figure the rest of us have a short attention span. If we had short attention span, we'd do things like sending incompete

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Uh, temps are 10 degrees below normal where this snow is blasting.

Reply to
* U S *

It's not about finding a job (anyone with two college degrees can find a minimum-paying job), it's about survival. Folks here are more concened about their drugs (they think they need) or milk supply than an icy-snowy driveway.

Reply to
Phisherman

Have you ever run a snowblower? It certainly is NOT a matter of "just walk behind it."

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't turn for beans.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I'm sure the statistics were much more accurate in UK and Australia when the unemployed had to register with the govt-run employment agency to get their unemployment benefits, keep reporting back every so often, and show evidence of having applied for the jobs that appeared to be a good fit. Of course the unemployed were encouraged to look for work through other channels as well.

If there is a period after which person can no longer collect unemployment benefits, how does anybody know that that person is still unemployed?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

...and it ain't gonna move 24" of snow.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Jeez, do you want to plow your driveway or start a landscaping business???

Google "Chevy Colorado snow plow" and educate yourself. There are plenty of options out there for light-duty, light-weight snow plows that are easy to hook and unhook. They have quick-attach systems where you drive up to the plow and drop in a couple of pins to install it, then remove a couple of pins and back away to uninstall it. No lifting. No dropping.

You can have them professionally installed. Most people, even the guys that plow driveways for a living, have them professionally installed.

You don't need to have a heavy duty truck to plow ONE driveway.

...and ballast? You don't know what ballast is? OMFG. Look it up.

Reply to
mkirsch1

"Phisherman" wrote Folks here are more

Would you care to comment on that?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Have you ever run a snowblower? It certainly is NOT a matter of "just walk behind it."

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't turn for beans.

reply: Sounds like the typical intellectual. They can watch and tell you what you are doing wrong, and what you SHOULD be doing, but they don't have the oomph to get out there and do it themselves.

All the "labor saving devices" take work to operate. Mowers, tillers, snow blowers, you name it. They just don't work on a tether or on a radio control system. Then there's the cleanup and maintenance.

The purpose of all these "labor saving devices" is not so one can finish mowing the yard and then spend the rest of the day fishing. It is so that we can have larger lawns.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It was cancelled. You didn't have enough hope.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon