O/T: Warm Enough

I'll answer. "Acid rain" is not caused by CO2. Acid rain is caused, mainly, my sulfur emissions resulting in Sulfuric acid. CO2 DOES react with water to form carbonic acid, though not very much. Plus, carbonic acid is a very weak acid and insignificantly responsible for the damage from so-called "acid rain."

Reply to
HeyBub

That's what I thought, but the only one I've found is in Portland, 250 miles away.

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Around here, the Home Depot takes fluorescents, though they probably send them to the landfill.

Reply to
krw

much she got.

I laughed again when I learned that she could have changed her vote as long is it did not affect the outcome. What would be the point??

Reply to
Leon

I get a "Page not found" from both Firefox and Exploder.

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Suppose that the oceans are getting more acidic and there is acid rain and that CO2 is the cause. What of it? The issue is not whethere there is CO2, the issue is why there is CO2.

We are supposed to be having a temperature spike with the greenland icecap melting about now. There is a long term glaciation cycle in which that event occurs periodically and we are at the point in the cycle when it is expected to occur. After the temperature spike there has in every previous cycle been a precipitate drop in temperature. Instead of worrying about global warming, we should be worried about what comes after it. Long Island is the rock and soil that was scraped off of Quebec and New England in the cold part of the last glaciation cycle.

But a certain group of "scientists" have figured out that by creating panic they can get funding and they are going at it as hard as they can.

And I'm curious--did you vote for McCain or Obama in the last election? I'd bet Obama, even though he had no plan to address global warming, instead of McCain who spelled out what had to be done and intended to go about doing it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hamster.jcbsbsdomain.local:

McCain (may have) had good ideas, but in my opinion late in the campaign he went off his rocker especially when he chose pretty palin as a running mate. That woman cost him the election as far as I am concerned.

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I do too now, but here is another link:

or

Reply to
Han

Now that is just plain funny and or a sign of the mentality of the majority of the voters.

FWIW Obama cared to not address what does not exist.

McCain wasted time addressing what did not exist.

Reply to
Leon

Never mind the rules, never mind she made the mistake, slant it as much as you can and blame it on the other party.

That rag is exactly what's wrong with today's media.

Reply to
Swingman

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I wasn't quite aware that McCain had indeed a plan for global warming. If I had, that would have been another point in his favor, but it wouldn't have helped to get my vote.

This is one of the things that a 2-party system kills - nuances in positions get leveled off, since the candidates have to pander to the least offensive positions.

Reply to
Han

Swingman wrote in news:PN6dnT1ubb7bFWjSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The stupidity of both the rules and the woman casting the deciding vote is what was funny. You know by now my feelings about fracking.

Reply to
Han

IOW, you don't have an answer. And you ignore the people "who know the science" (80%-90% of climatologists) who keep trying to give you an answer.

You win. I give up responding to your factless frothing.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

As I said to another poster, you may well be correct. I saw articles online that blamed both sources.

But there does seem to be relative unanimity that CO2 is causing the ocean acidification. If the oceans get messed up, we're in a lot of trouble. Corals dying and oysters failing to breed are an indicator that bad things are happening.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Actually, the point upon which I was commenting had nothing to do with "fracking".

But, while you're at it, to the above stupidities, add the absurdity of allowing the son-in-law of a paid campaign worker to "report" on the incident.

As always, "The written word is seldom the whole truth." ... no exceptions for anyone. :)

Reply to
Swingman

That's the funny part! They keep claiming a consensus and numbers like

90%, which it total bullshit, as well. And why is it now coming down to 80%? 5 years ago it was 99%. Now these smaller numbers keep showing up, not because they are actually accurate, but because the whole movement keep trying to save face and are putting spin out there every chance they get and with every new scandal.

Yeah ok, if that makes you feel better. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yabbut, youse guys used the "C" word about AGWK, too, though there ain't no concensus nowhere, pard.

Yes, possibly. Or, it's just a sign that Mother Nature moved on. Not all species live in all temp ranges, LB.

Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I graduated from high school I was fully capable of reading my diploma. I could also read my degree in later years. Perhaps I am not a genius, but I learned in elementary school what a percentage point is. So you are saying that CO2, a trace gas, at a concentration of 0.039% by volume in the atmosphere is causing global warming? Studies have shown that it has varied over the centuries and the recent Al Gore stuff is garbage. And what are "green house gasses"? One real killer is water!! Holy Crap!!!!

Try really reading some links below and incorporate some common sense into your thoughts

and

woodstuff

------------------------------------ During those years you were obtaining your training, did you bother to learn what the by-products of combustion of carbon based fossil fuels were?

HINT:

They include but are not limited to CO, CO2, NOX & SOX.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Neither are you comments about alternative energy sources and their improvements to the environment.

Reply to
Leon