Minwax Date Codes

Just thought I'd share this, in case anyone else has ever wondered how to read the date codes on Minwax cans.

Can of Minwax Wipe-on Poly shows the following coded information:

BATCH-MW1310C

00664 BLH

Decodes as follows:

131 means it was made on the 131st day of the year 0 is the last digit of the year of manufacture, 2010 in this case (presumably, any product manufactured in 2000 is no longer on store shelves)

00664 is the serial number of that particular can BLH are the initials of the machine operator

According to Minwax, the shelf life of an UNopened can is five years. They won't quote a shelf life for *opened* cans, but my own experience suggests that it's more than one year, but probably not much more than two. Certainly, by June 2012, varnish from a can manufactured in May 2010, purchased, opened, and used in June 2010, does not dry nearly as quickly as it did two years ago. It does dry. But takes 3x as long. I'm glad I tested that on scrap: the project in question was a wedding present, so the deadline wouldn't slip. I bought a new can. Guess I'll use the old one for shop projects...

Reply to
Doug Miller

any product

than one year,

glad I tested that on

slip. I bought

Jeez Doug! LOL

Now you have me wondering what Minwax deciphers the MW as. :~)

And what does the C stand for?

Anyway thanks, I am sure the 1310 is all one needs if purchasing a single can. Seems odd that each can would have a serial number vs. a batch number. Would Miniwax recall a single can or could you trust #00664 to be the same as #00700?

Reply to
Leon

read the date

(presumably, any product

won't quote a

than one year,

dry nearly

glad I tested that on

wouldn't slip. I bought

Which reminds me of Jummywood.

Reply to
G. Ross

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I figured it was a batch number, but their customer service guy said it was a serial number.

I'll check, next time I'm at the Borg, to see which it is. Should be easy enough to tell.

Reply to
Doug Miller

serial number.

That does not surprise me at all.

enough to tell.

Exactly! If it is actually a serial number there will be no two with the same number.

Reply to
Leon

Here ya go. Right off of the pages of Wikipedia:

A serial number is a unique code assigned for identification of a single unit. Although usually called a number, it may include letters, though ending with digits. Typically serial numbers of a production run are incremented by one, or another fixed difference, from one unit to the next.

I doubt that this comes as a big surprise to anyone--there is merely, perhaps, some confusion about terminology.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Was there a doubt as to what a serial number vs a botch number was? ;~)

And again I find it odd that Miniwax says that their cans have serial numbers. Serial numbers are pretty much exclusively used to identify a specific single item. I do not see a reason for that in this particular situation.

Now if Miniwax actually mixed the product separately each time for each individual container a serial number would be called for.

Reply to
Leon

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

It could be a batch serial number. *mischevious grin*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On 7/3/2012 3:17 PM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

Or a serial batch number... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Why would anyone buy a product with a botch number on it? ;-)

How expensive is this stuff? ;-)

Reply to
krw

I may have read Wikipedia too fast. When I read "serial numbers of a production run", I interpreted it that production run's have serial numbers.

I doubt that each can of tuna get it's own serial number--even if they comnes from the same fish! Now each particular tuna fish might get it's own serial number. Leaving some meat on the bone, that's alot like naming them...

Reply to
Bill

dpb wrote in news:jsvk79$1m3$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Not to be confused with the cereal batch number you might find on a box of Cheerios...

Reply to
Doug Miller

LOL I have seen some fine work done with Miniwax stains, I was never satisfied with it. So it is a botch number. ;~)

No kidding.. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Would that not be a cereal box serial batch number?

--

Reply to
dpb

No you are thinking batch number commonly used when a quantity of product is divided and sold in individual containers. A new batch of the product would get a new batch number. If you are buying 3 quarts of stain you would want to make sure each can was from the same batch and had the same batch number to insure that they were all identical in color. if the batch numbers were different it would be wise to mix all together to insure a uniform color.

Serial numbers typically indicate a single manufactured item that is not divided and sold in smaller quantities. Manufacturers use serial numbers mostly for recall and or repair purposes. If there is a problem with a series of manufactured products they are easier to identify by serial number.

Reply to
Leon

No, no, no. The box' batch isn't serialized, the cereal batch has a serial number printed on the box. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Leon wrote in news:4FF372DB.6030403@swbelldotnet:

All kidding aside, it really is a serial number. I checked at HD today; three consecutive cans on the shelf, all with the same date code, had serial numbers 04062, 04063,

04064.
Reply to
Doug Miller

consecutive cans