OT. summer activities:

Its almost rodeo season and country fair time , my better half and I hookup the old RV. and do the circuit throughout the province meet old friends and have a darn good time.My guess is you Southerners probably have something similar, have a good summer people.

Sal

Reply to
sal

Oh, yeah. As soon as we get electricity back (may be 6 more days), the temp= s dip under 100, and I get the tree cut off the house power line, plus shop= to replace all food, condiments and frozen stuff. I'm not sure insurance c= overs ANY of this: if that's the case, this is a no vacation year. Fortunat= ely, we're fewer than 25 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and gas has drop= ped under three bucks.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie Self wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Wow, Charlie, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope they get your power restored sooner than that.

Check with your insurance agent; the food probably *is* covered, minus whatever deductible you have on your homeowner's policy. I had that conversation with my agent in about 1990 -- we lost power in an ice storm, and when the power company told me it might be a week before they got us hooked up again, I rented a generator [*]. Tried to get the agent to pay for the generator and gas; no go. If I had let the food in the freezer spoil, they would have paid to replace it -- a hundred pounds of venison (check how much that would cost!), plus 50 pounds or so of other meats -- easily over a grand total, but they wouldn't reimburse $200 for the generator and gas to save five or six times that in food.

  • -- I recognize that renting a generator is probably not an option for you; it was for me, because at the time, we lived in a rural area about twenty miles north of Indianapolis, and the ice was in a pretty narrow band. Indy got rain, we got ice, twenty miles north of us they got heavy snow. There were no generators available anywhere in our community or to the north, but half an hour south of us, a city of a million people all had power, and there were generators aplenty. You're in a very different circumstance: worse damage, much more widespread, and the major cities didn't escape it. I bet there isn't a generator available for rent within 150 miles of you, is there? Sucks.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Sorry about the post,I should have realized there were many in the US. under extreme durress what with the floods, tornado's and terrible wild fires.

Reply to
sal

It was a mess and we've still got some firewood in the yard. It will probab= ly be there this time next year. I don't do chainsaws any more. We were ver= y, very lucky compared to others. We really lost only the food in both free= zers and two refrigerators. And no, insurance didn't cover it. Our deductib= le was too high for that. We were fortunate in being able to drive 15 miles= and sleep at the oldest kid's house, where power was still on: those 88 de= gree nights are not charming at my age.

Reply to
Charlie Self

be there this time next year. I don't do chainsaws any more. We were very, very lucky compared to others. We really lost only the food in both freezers and two refrigerators. And no, insurance didn't cover it. Our deductible was too high for that. We were fortunate in being able to drive 15 miles and sleep at the oldest kid's house, where power was still on: those 88 degree nights are not charming at my age.

Hi Charlie Hoss,

Glad you made it through. I know about those deductibles. Lightning struck a big pine about 10 ft from my shop. Zapped my well pump, Nova DVR lathe, two telephones, security lights and misc. small electronics. Everything is up and running again.

Bought your book on making wood puzzles and am busy at work making little cubes of cherry and bradford pear. For the grand kids (after I learn how to solve them myself).

Good to hear from you.

Reply to
G. Ross

obably be there this time next year. I don't do chainsaws any more. We were= very, very lucky compared to others. We really lost only the food in both = freezers and two refrigerators. And no, insurance didn't cover it. Our dedu= ctible was too high for that. We were fortunate in being able to drive 15 m= iles and sleep at the oldest kid's house, where power was still on: those 8=

8 degree nights are not charming at my age.

Late reply. We're STILL waiting for Apco/AEP to come in and cut a tree limb= off the service entrance drop. It's not interfering right now, but my insu= rance will kick in for sure if we get another heavy windstorm. Otherwise, w= e lost a freezer and two refrigerators worth of food and nothing else, so w= e didn't make the deductible. We do have a huge branch messing up the yard,= but that can sit until it rots for all I care. It cuts a lot of square fee= t out of the needed lawn mowing if nothing else. We missed part of one nigh= t's sleep, so it's almost a no harm-no foul deal for us. Many, many people = had it much worse here and elsewhere.

Reply to
Charlie Self