Car Insurance (OT)

Not exactly do it yourself but I just wondered if anyone else has had this experience or if its just me.
I bought a new car yesterday ( that is I ordered it two weeks ago and yesterday I collected it). Its a Mazda 2 ( 1.5 engine). I got lots of extras as part of the deal ( for free as they say) from Mazda, including insurance for a week to enable me to bring the car home without them having to mess with my insurance sending out cover notes for them to tax it.
Anyway, I sold my old car part exchange . I got the new one home and rang up yesterday afternoon to change the insurance and the bloke at the call centre ( direct line by the way) told me off for daring to buy a new car without getting their permission first. I was just shocked and quite upset at being told I wasn't allowed to buy a new car without getting their approval first.
Has anyone else had this or did I just get a weird call centre guy? My OH thinks its funny but its upset me and spoilt having a new car for me. Thanks.
"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sounds like time to change insurers, and inform them why. NFU are good value for me.
Mike
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:40:47 +0000, sweetheart wrote:

Perfectly normal, done that for several cars.

You got a weird call centre guy. I'd ask to speak to his supervisor. He has no right at all to do that. In fact, I'd be tempted to cancel and go somewhere else.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Eager wrote:

I've moved away from DL for motor and home insurance as a result of offhand attitudes, unwillingness to negotiate on price, long delays on their phone lines etc. Churchill seem much better and handled a recent claim superbly. Seems crazy that they have the same parent company as DL! I also use Direct Line for Business, a differetn arm of the same company and they are efficient, courteous and very reasonable with lower than inflation price increases for property insurance on a house I rent out.
Bob

I *was* with DL for 2 cars and home insurance, more or less from when they started out. Then a couple of years ago, in the middle of a recession, they tried to put up the home premium by 40%. And I've never claimed on it. Getting a quote for the house on their website resulted in one about a quarter of that renewal premium. Phone calls and even writing to them failed to get a resolution, so I changed to another company.
I really can't understand this drive for new customers while p***ing off existing good ones.
--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Obviously, enough existing customers remain to justify pissing off a few.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 72nd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3177
Science flies people to the moon; Religion flies people into skyscrapers.

Yes, they are daft like me. But its really inertia. Its hard work, especially when you go out to work as well, to keep swapping insurance.

In my experience, with a good no claims record, changing every year saves me around 200/300 on the renewal quotes (Car/House/Buildings). Inertia can be the expensive option.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk

For me that's been true of car insurance, but oddly the house and contents have been at the same firm for three years as they were within a fiver of the lowest other quote - even for new business.
-- Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

When I reached the age of 65, Direct Line (who I'd been with for 15+ years) more than doubled my premium. I moved to Saga and every renewal time they have matched the lowest quote I can find on the web. One year I paid £57!
On 13/03/2011 13:42 sweetheart wrote:

But in a few minutes you can 'earn' more than 100.
Set up a TopCashBack account (it's free and using http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/digital will get you there and will earn me a referral fee). Use the TopCashBack account to go to CoCompare to get quotes. You'll get 1.75 cashback from TopCashBack for checking through them.
Then, using a *different browser, or clearing cookies in the one you just used* go to TopCashBack and find the insurance company you want to use. Use the TopCashBack link to the insurance company to go and buy the insurance.
Note: it may be worthwhile having a look at the TopCashBack commission rates for the three or so cheapest/most appropriate companies as cashback can vary. We got 58 cashback on each of our two car policies last time.
It's also worthwhile getting a fresh online quote from the company you're currently with. Our next renewal is 230. The same insurance company has it at 156 for a fresh policy and TopCashBack will reduce that by 50. I'll leave the car in the garage for a day to let the existing policy lapse and then take out new online.
I realise the above may not suit everyone, but it will suit a lot...

And thereby commit an offence. Not that you may care. Or the DVLA/MID notice...
--
Today is Pungenday, the 73rd day of Chaos in the YOLD 3177
Science flies people to the moon; Religion flies people into skyscrapers.
On 14/03/2011 12:34 Huge wrote:

Correct...

Have the 'new rules' actually come into force - or are they still arguing about it? All <http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_18 6696> says is "In early 2011, the vehicle insurance law will change."
--
Ian

On 14/03/2011 19:59, Ian Jackson wrote:

That's unclear, and crazy. And I don't mean the date.
I have insurance covering me 3rd party only for any vehicle not mine. My neighbour has an old MG; my insurance will let me drive it legally. Is this law really saying that he has to have some kind of insurance on the vehicle or he gets fined - and yet if I drove it I wouldn't be using the insurance?
Andy
they were saying:

Yes. That's precisely what it is saying.
Don't forget that it's very unlikely that the vehicle would be insured if you parked it up and left it. And, of course, he would never have been able to get a tax disc for it if whilst it was uninsured (and, yes, pre-73 cars still need a valid tax disc, even if it is free). You'd also pop up on any ANPR.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid says...

Yes. It doesn't really make any difference since he'll either have to have SORNed it in which case you couldn't be driving it, or he has a tax disc - for which he will have to have provided proof of insurance.

} snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid says... }> I have insurance covering me 3rd party only for any vehicle not mine. }> My neighbour has an old MG; my insurance will let me drive it legally. }> Is this law really saying that he has to have some kind of insurance on }> the vehicle or he gets fined - and yet if I drove it I wouldn't be using }> the insurance? } }Yes. It doesn't really make any difference since he'll either have to }have SORNed it in which case you couldn't be driving it, or he has a tax }disc - for which he will have to have provided proof of insurance.
To get a tax disc it is only necessary to have insurance to cover the first day of the period to be taxed, so it's quite possible to have a taxed and uninsured vehicle for just under a year.

Which you will now have to SORN, so (leaving aside classics) you might as well claim the unused portion of the tax disc back from them too ... have they really thought this through ?
Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Of course not. The only people this will catch is the absent-minded but otherwise law-abiding middle classes. The chavs who didn't tax or insure their cars will carry on as before.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 1st day of Discord in the YOLD 3177
Science flies people to the moon; Religion flies people into skyscrapers.