car insurance

Hello,
Foolishly I did not protect my NCB. I hadn't had an accident in years, so was hoping this would continue but it didn't, so I now have three years' NCB.
I have used web sites like go compare and compare the market but I am finding companies I've never heard of. "Go Skippy" and "1st central" seem to be two near the top of my quotes this year. Has anyone heard of these?
I also stumbled across quotezone which seems to give me the cheapest quotes but again, from insurers I have not heard of: Octagon, Zenith, and the Insurance factory, to name a few.
Octagon has the lowest price but I hadn't heard of them so I googled them. The reviews I found were not complimentary but they were from 2012 so have they improved since then? Is it that the way the world is people are quick to post negative reviews of bad experiences but not so quick to post positive reviews of good experiences? I don't want to go with the cheapest quote and then regret it. Has anyone heard of octagon?
Thanks, Stephen.
Stephen wrote:

In terms of cover, see who they're underwritten by compared to names you have heard of, probably what varies is the customer service you'll get and the price ...
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 10:42:28 AM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:

There are only something like 5 actual companies offering motor insurance in the UK. All the rest of the names you see are just brands of the same company.
I wouldn't worry about having lost your no claims bonus, they take into account whether your bonus was protected or not last year when calculating your premium and your accident record anyway.
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 03:11:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That many ...

Aye, you don't need to stay with a Co. to "build up" a NCB, you have n years no matter who the insurer was. They might knock it back a year but how what does that mean in terms of your wallet? I haven't seen a NCB described as a percentage of "the premium" for years and certainly not as a pounds figure "saving".
I have a suspicision that the Insurance Co.s will start using modern vehicles semi-covert "black box"(*) data more and more along with the overt GPS/Smartphone/driving manner apps/boxes to determine individual premium levels.
Whichs lead on to the Aviva Drive app, that may get you up to a 20% discount at next renewal. Anyone used it?
Had a quick look on the Playstore to see if there were any similar "driving analysis" apps that were stand alone, ie not linked to an insurance company. I only found one and that doesn't use GPS just the inertial sensor and its reporting is not wonderful. I'd like some indication of my driving style before using the Avia Drive app. As your first score is, quite wisely, the only one they use for calculating the discount percentage.
(*) Hidden away in my cars User Manual are couple of statements that indicate there are at least two boxen logging vehicle performance/status and driver input. Law enforcement agencies can ask to access that data to use in evidence. Other data is "open" in that garage mechanics can see it for fault/servicing etc.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 12/09/2015 02:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Its common knowledge that the ECU logs the state of the controls, etc. its used for diagnostics but it does usually record the state at the moment of an accident which could be used by the police.
It was used in the case of a law suit in USA a few years ago where owners of a car were claiming they weren't responsible for a series of crashes and it proved the drivers were accelerating and not braking as they were claiming. It wasn't common knowledge then.
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 12:01:39 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

that

ask

that

The ECU logging fault codes etc yes and possibly a snapshot when the airbags deploy(*) but the implication of the statement(s) was that something also kept a few minute rolling record of the state of the vehicle.
<later> Hum, the .pdf of the User Manual is vague but doesn't mention law enforcement agencies. I'm pretty sure what I read did but that would have been the dead tree version.
(*) Reasonable to assume that that is the moment of an accident but it would be beter to work on simple G force from any direction above a certain level. Airbags only go off if they might help, they didn't deploy when I hit a drystone wall and rolled the car ending up upside down. Or when SWMBO'd did a similar thing. Both write offs.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Saturday, 12 September 2015 12:01:44 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Well *I* know it - because I used to work with a firm that wrote the software for them - but I'm not sure I'd describe it as "common knowledge".
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:42:24 +0100

Following on from this, I recently joined the RAC, and they quote considerably less for my car than I currently pay with Aviva. Are there any comments on this? I know that it is usually worth changing insurance company every now and then, as the only effect of company loyalty to customers seems to be to keep premiums high.
--
Davey.

At renewal time, contact Aviva and tell them about the better quotes you've got. You'll then magically get a revised renewal from them. Happens every time without fail here.
Obviously, insurance companies rely on many simply renewing without querying the figure.
However, if I could find a company which didn't use this trick to inflate their premiums, I'd put all my business with them.
--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

No you wouldn't - the initial premium would be double what you would expect.
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 12:45:18 +0100

That's what I expect to happen. So far, I have stayed to build up a NCB, but now it's a free-for-all.
--
Davey.

On 11/09/2015 15:55, Davey wrote:

You don't have to build up a NCB with one company - they are transferable. When getting a quote from a new company one of the first questions they ask is how many years have you had insurance (with any company) without having an accident.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 08:08:01 +0100

Yes, I know. But I wanted to stay with Aviva for simplicity, as I was starting from scratch (with a 3-litre car) having returned after many years in the US, where they don't have NCB premium reductions, only add-ons. Aviva was the only company that would accept a statement from my US insurer that I was accident-free, so charged me a premium based on that, but required that I build up an NCB with them. That period is now almost satisfied, so in November, the comparisons start in earnest.
Do I need to get an NCB statement from my old company if I change? The RAC site gave that impression. I would have thought that any company could check electronically.
--
Davey.

On 12/09/2015 09:27, Davey wrote:

I have changed many times and the new insurance company have never asked me for proof of NCB so I assume that they all share some information and check electronically.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 09:27:00 +0100, Davey wrote:

The latter, the insurers share information via a central database, probably the same one that the ANPR system uses to flag up uninsured vehicles and the one the "Tax Disc" system uses to check when you pay up etc.
Don't know how much information that central database holds about individuals but I'd expect at least a basic accident records (date, at fault or not) and convictions. Wouldn't be surprised if the information started with your inside leg measurement though...
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

They seem to dislike using it though ... last two times I've swapped, I've been asked to provide paper evidence of NCB (even though previous insurer is a different brand of the same company) when I've phoned they've suddenly become able to do it through the database, last time they allowed emailing a pdf of a photo of the paper, which is less hassle than having to phone, but I still wish they'd do it proactively using the database.
On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:27:59 +0100

That is echoed by another poster's experience.
The Insurers are probably worried about "Data Protection Laws".
--
Davey.

Me too. Last time it went from £42 to £28 a month.

Thieving b*stards.

Me too.

When I moved up to Scotland from Bucks in 2012 I went with Saga for car insurance and my fully comp premium on the Focus dropped from £300 to £93. It's stayed exactly the same every year since bar the odd penny. Obviously living in a cheap rural postcode area in the middle of nowhere helps but they've never tried to stiff me on the premiums.
--
Dave Baker

LV and Directline renewals for me have been very close to their comparison site quotes for the last few years. Cashback sites make it worth swapping between them.