Garbage Disposal humming but not working

I went to flip on the disposal and all it does is hum. I CAN turn the fly wheel with both the allen key and a broom so it is not stuck. I have tried the reset button also but it was not tripped. My theory is that the reset but is not working? I have replaced one in our previous home so I am not opposed to doing that but I wanted to check here first. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Reply to
Sidney

If it turns feely, and you can see the wheel inside moving, it is not stuck. Make sure the wheel is moving and not just the allen wrench. It is possible that the part that holds the wrench is broke off the shaft so you want to eliminate that problem.

If it is humming, that means the motor is getting electricity, but cannot start. Could be a few things, but taking a disposal apart usually is a PITA and can be replaced easier and cheaper.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree, but I'll hazard a guess that what's screwed is either the centrifugal motor starter switch or perhaps a broken wire joint preventing current from flowing to the start winding.

Unless you're familiar with the operating principles of electric motors and have a multimeter handy, it probably is better to just replace it.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks for the responses. I am just going to replace it.

Reply to
Sidney