Garbage Disposal Broken?

Hello,

I've lived in my house for about 3 years now, and my garbage disposal in my kitchen sink has given me no problems. I tried to work it yesterday via the switch on the wall, and nothing happened. I'm not sure if I need to get a repair man in to fix or replace it, or do they just need to be cleaned out from time to time? How do I clean one of these things out if this is the case?

Thanks Sam

Reply to
samadams_2006

With a flashlight and mirror, look at the bottom of the unit for a red "reset" button. There should be an "Allen" fitting in the center of the bottom of the unit as well. If the unit gets jammed, you insert an Allen wrench into this hole and turn it until the unit spins freely. Other than those possibilities, you'd need to check power to the unit and through the switch

Reply to
RBM

mine got stuck once. there was a place on the bottom to put a allen wrench and turn the shaft to gt it moving. i did check the power supply first.lucas

ds549

samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca asked in message news: snipped-for-privacy@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...

First, unplug the unit from it's power source and remove any debris that might be freezing it up. Anything with fiber (celery, artichokes, etc.) or a rind (lemons, oranges, grapefruit) can easily lock a unit up. Plug the unit back in. Run some water and flip the switch.

I'm guessing that there are no instructions available for you to check the quick reference and parts' diagram (the picture that lists every part and shows the disposal pulled apart).

If that's the case, look for a red button, possibly recessed and under the disposal unit). Press that button, run some water, and flip the switch again.

If nothing happens, or you hear the disposal straining to move, shut the switch off and look for another hole that will fit an allen wrench. My Bonecrusher came with such a tool so I've attached it to the disposal for convenience. If you don't have that luxury, of an allen wrench already made for this purpose, borrow a set so you can find out the correct size. Insert the allen wrench into the hole underneath the disposal and crank it clockwise until it turns freely. (Whenever my FIL has had to do this, he'll also crank it counterclockwise but I don't like doing that.) Run some water and flip the switch.

Hopefully this will get the unit moving again. If there is no noise during any time you flip the switch, you might have a dead unit in which case you'll have to replace it.

To clean it, and sharpen the "knives" inside the unit, throw some ice down the sink with running water. The swirling ice is like Brillo to the throat area and resharpens the grinders. You can do that every 3-6 months and that area of the sink will suddenly be very clean-smelling. A hot vinegar bath will also help remove the gamy smell (I do this every 6 months; daylight savings time).

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Some are hard wired. If so, just don't stick your hand in while the switch could be on, or turn off the circuit breaker.

You coudl go to any friendly store, and borrow a set of instructions and go xerox them, or just buy a new one, and xerox the instructions and return everything, and I think InSinkErator has them online.

But instructions aren't really necessary given the advice here.

I think both directions are ok.

Really? You can sharpen steel with ice?

Reply to
mm

Interesting; why would someone do this?

None, including the six apartments I lived in, I've ever seen were hardwired; every last one was a plug-in to an outlet under the sink. I asked my FIL about this, too, and he said he never saw them as the maintainance guy for three complexes.

[snip]

Two handyman shows I used to watch, the handyman advice column I read, and my FIL all provided similar information so I'll answer "Yes" in answer to your facetiously posed idea.

:)

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

  1. Push the teeny red overload reset button on the bottom of the disposal (it's there, look for it).
  2. If the disposal just hums for a few seconds: a. Push the teeny red button again, b. Use an allen wrench in the hole at the bottom to turn the disposal's business shaft.
  3. If no allen wrench hole, use a broom handle to turn the innards of the disposal until the jam clears.
  4. If the jam is caused by something that the disposal won't handle (say, a spoon or femur), remove the obstruction.
Reply to
HeyBub

To save money? Maybe it's quicker, and needs no parts.

It's not bad. I open the chamber in the bottom, pull out the wires and removed the wire nuts.

Since I'm going to replace the whole thing anyhow, I would have to do this anyhow.

So you can sharpen steel with ice?

Reply to
mm

I'm not sure exactly what the ice does, but I've seen some run better after such a treatment. My guess is that there is some sort of cleaning action by hardening gunk in there as there is no blade to sharpen. I knew a guy that swore the best thing you could do is drop a beer bottle in there once a year.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK.

How many beers had he had when he said that?

Reply to
mm