Strange car radio power wiring - just wondered

Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix anything (for a change)! An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these wires for power.
2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers) a)     is +12Vdc all the time b)     is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.
<Start Engine>
Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn the radio off at night : No?
On 16/11/16 18:28, dave wrote:

Using a DMM or a test lamp?
Check radio fuses are not blown?
The radio may be feeding itself only from a weak connection to dashboard illumination, which may be dropping voltage when you turn outside lights on.
--
Adrian C

On 16/11/16 19:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Oh scrap my witterings, that doesn't make sense.
Weird.
--
Adrian C

I had my SONY DAB 2008 RX put into my 159 - it took a pro FOUR HOURS.

Because it always was a steaming turd with wheels.
On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 20:55:45 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I fitted the same radio to my 156 on my own, but on the 159 he had to take out the air vents, fit a new DAB antenna to the windscreen and hook it up t o the steering wheel controls.
That is why I paid him £200 cash.

That's what I meant about it being a steaming turd with wheels. Fucked by design.

Just a rat hole you keep pouring your money down.

But you don't say if the radio works with the lights on or even off. Does the radio have an earth connection? Where exactly was the -ve lead of your meter connected when measuring?
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

:-) It doesn't work at all - becuase it's in the bin :-) I was just wondering what the various power cables were to it were for (I should have made that clearer).

Just picked up on an eath under the dash. The earth is ok - check from there back to battery - yep get 12+ volts. Perhaps it was cunning wired by nissan to ban listening to the radio at night har ha.

Normal so far

Does it have memory presets and do you lose them whenever this happens?
--
bert

It's not uncommon to have a connection to the car lighting, so the display dims when they are on.
--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

And does it? Since you have the car, one assumes that this does not happen, or you would be posting what idiot wired this up. Therefore, I have to ask, where are you measuring from as an earth? Brian
--
----- -