Re: [OT] Car insurance craziness

I last year had to get insurance for our "new" (18 years old) second car, a Landrover, Searching the net I put the details into many different sites and got quotes as high as 444 pounds(The AA) the Directlines of this world weren't much better. however I got a quote in the end for 118 pounds fully comp (age 45, NO no claims as it's a second vehicle, limited mileage).

It's very strange the huge diversity of figures when getting quotes!!

Reply to
The Q

Have you gone ahead yet? I heard NFU are good for Land Rovers.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Attrill

I presume that's insured as a classic? Much cheaper than normal policies, but there are disadvantages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I recently renewed my Freelander insurance - Peoples Choice beat all other insurance suppliers hands down - including NFU (who aren't too good on the insurance front as far as my Land Rover marque was concerned).

I'm 47, maxed out on no claims bonus, spotless license, max 10K miles per year. The premium was a shade under 300 quid fully comp.

Other insurers that we looked at generally came into the 400-500 range.

I highly recommend Peoples Choice for anyone who might be looking:

guess a regular traction engine land rover might cost a bit less to insure. Freelanders are perhaps a bit more up market and not typically used by Farmer Giles to push cattle around :)

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

I'm 44 with a sporty car. Max no claims, one minor blemish on the licence.

Previous years paid £400 ish, nearly £500 first year. Recent quotes £400+ except

which was sub £300.

W.

beat all

aren't too

miles

400-500

looking:

less to

typically

Reply to
Woodspoiler

Can you please elaborate on the disadvantages?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

It varies between companies, but in no particular order:-

Must be garaged or off road Must be a second car Restricted mileage Can't be used for business - even travelling to and from normal place of work Doesn't earn a second no claim bonus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Join the NFU and use their scheme. _Very_ cheap.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What amazes me is that we have to insure each person to drive a car. I used to live in the Middle East (Sultanate of OMAN) in 2000. I bought a new car, a MATIZ only £3000. I insured the 'car' for about £100 fully comp. That insurance meant the car was insured. Anyone who had a valid licence and my permission could drive it on that insurance. A UK licence was legally valid. All insurance in the UK is a total rip off which is why so many people drive with out it. Steve R

Reply to
Essjay001

I didn't know that! I was wondering about saving some money by getting an older vehicle, because I know they are exempt from the road fund license, but clearly that's not an option with those options.

That doesn't surprise me.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

That would be when I was riding a mobi. Can't say as I recall that.

I do recall that when I got my first mobi, a Honda C50, my Mum got the fully comp insurance from the broker when she went into town - a whole year without any no-claims discount, 17 years old - and it cost a fiver. That was in 1973.

Today there would be at least a couple of 0's tagged on the end. Inflation hasn't gone up that much.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

You actually have to take other things into consideration. This country has got wonderfully low inflation for example. Now isn't that nice? But hang on.....

Naturally those who aren't asleep at the back realise that governments still like to spend the money trying to convince the voters that their party is worth keeping in power. And the money has to come from somewhere (that's you and me, buster ;)). So they find inventive new ways of adding tax thru stealth means which don't register on the inflation index.

Just a couple of days ago the cost of acquiring a new passport went up by 27% - 10 times the rate of inflation. Norman Lamont (sp.) introduced a tax penalty for buying an airline ticket (can't remember Gordon Brown removing that one). When I started driving 30 years ago the cost of taxing a car was not a lot.

You realise that for each pound you buy at the pumps, 70%+ goes directly to the government - not the oil companies. So it isn't the entire fault of the oil companies that we are paying significant costs to refill the tank.

And so on.

The one thing that Gordon Brown has excelled at is increasing company taxation, and that affects us all. National Insurance contributions for both employee and employer went up by 10% in April this year for example. The insurance companies have to find that money from somewhere, guess what - premiums have had to be increased. And that's another "non-inflationary" increase not measured on the Richter scale.

So it isn't all the insurance companies fault, nice as it may be to think it is. Blaming them is a standard feature of government spin of course.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Sounds like a good place to start a touring holliday.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Not to mention they have had half of the pound before you get the the petrol station!

Reply to
John Rumm

Most people think cash terms and forget inflation. Car tax has remained fairly constant as a percentage of average income as has fuel tax, although there will be odd blips both up and down.

About 40 years ago, car tax was 15 quid a year. But a reasonable weekly wage was 10 pounds - 20 was good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Err, then I'll blame them. They are so desperate for business, they insure poor risks - like large companies where the drivers don't care if they damage their vehicles or others - then expect the private motorist to bail them out. They could alleviate this by having larger no claims bonuses to encourage the careful.

I was with the same company for about 40 years - although it had merged with others in that time - with never a claim. Then one year they decided to more than double my premium with no change in my circumstances. So I changed companies after doing a search. I wrote to the old one telling them of my decision and why, but got no reply. And the next year the new company decided to increase my premium by much more than inflation, so I changed again, and will do so if this happens with this one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

At least. The voters in this country really are very gullible when it comes to swallowing government spin.

After all, National Insurance went up by less than half the rate of inflation in April - moving from 10% to 11%. That 1% rise was very well considered by Gordon.

But hang on a minute - if you were paying 10 pounds NI each month and it increased to 11 pounds then it's gone up by 1 pounds - which is a

10% increase, or 4 times the rate of inflation.

Unemployment figures are another one that really annoy the hell out of me (and I happen to have direct experience with this one in the last

12 months). Gordon keeps beating on about how unemployment is less than 1m and the lowest for 40 years.

However he's not measuring unemployment at all - he's measuring the number of people who are able to claim Job Seekers Allowance. Under the New Deal a few years back he changed all those rules so that you are only entitled to JSA by right for a maximum of 26 weeks, which is different to the "dole" which was not limited by time. After that JSA is means tested, and very, very few people get the means tested JSA because of Gordons rules - if you attend a training course (which you are required to do if the Job Centre ask you to) then you are moved off JSA onto something different - and no longer considered to be unemployed.

If we measured people actually looking for work then Gordon would be looking extremely silly, because real unemployment is the highest it has been since the 1930's (if memory serves me right). Week on week we hear about another few hundred jobs being lost or transferred to remote countries. We don't hear a comparable number of new jobs being created.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

"Andrew McKay" wrote | I didn't know that! I was wondering about saving some money by getting | an older vehicle, because I know they are exempt from the road fund | license, but clearly that's not an option with those options.

AIUI some models of Land-Rover are London Congestion Charge exempt, because they have more than a certain number of seats.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

From what I can see - it just says "Licensed buses with 9 or more seats" (and usually these are excluding the driver's seat). I think the LWB Discoveries with bench seats in the back could have 2x3 on the 2 benches along the sides of the back. 1x3 on the seats behind the driver and 2 seats next to the driver - plus the driver. So 11 seats + driver - however, I think the "Licensed buses" part is the problem with using it as an exemption to the fee. Remember - AFAIK - the exemptions must be registered prior to entering the zone - so you'd need to provide proof of licensed-ness etc - sure someone would notice that a Land Rover != Bus...

Plus - AFAIK, bench seats running along the sides of minibuses are now banned. My old Cadet minibus got scrapped because of this. Too expensive to modify and change the seats to be forward facing.

David Hearn

when I first got a bike (RD250LC Ahh takes you back) I had a rider policy, this insured you upto a specific CC size for me at the time the group was

225cc-350cc from memory. The insurance certificate had no Reg number on it just my name, and I was insured to ride any bike within the CC range as long as you held the licence to do so, learners being restricted to 250cc back then. This meant that as youngsters we could all just jump on each others bikes and give them a blast, this was a Norwich union policy. By the way can you not still get a policy for you car that insures "any driver" although it is very expensive and you have to give the age of the youngest person likely to drive and pay accordingly.
Reply to
simon beer