Car Insurance (OT)

Sounds as if you got one of the script reading droids on a bad day. You're better off elsewhere, as people have said. It's not as if DL are particularly cheap, which would explain them saying they're not on the comparison sites.

Reply to
John Williamson

The sites charge them a percentage. Others think it's worthwhile paying them; they don't.

Sweetheart, come May look for another insurer. They shouldn't treat you like that.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

But when I've been to them for a quote they are often 10 to 20% more expensive than a whole raft of other companies (including those owned by the same parent holding company)

Reply to
Alan

Getting a second car is a material fact that has to be notified to your insurer.

If the main driver (you) gets a new car that may mean that the second driver can drive the existing car more. That may mean that more miles are done by a higher risk driver.

Which is no excuse for rudeness or unhelpfulness, of course. But not notifying them could give then grounds for cancelling the policy or refusing a claim.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Looks good on the end of year figures for the sales department. I'll bet they get a bigger budget than retentions.

Reply to
Skipweasel

For me that's been true of car insurance, but oddly the house and=20 contents have been at the same firm for three years as they were within=20 a fiver of the lowest other quote - even for new business.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Try moneysupermarket.com, gocompare and sheilaswheels for comparitive quotes. You may also get a cheaper car insurance quote from DL if you use their website. I pay about 20% less after I did that one year.

My wife's car is still with DL. I could not get a significantly cheaper quote from any of those web sites last December.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Getting a second car is a material fact that has to be notified to your insurer.

But it isnt a second car. Its a replacement for a car I already had. I just updated. I do every now and then ( like every three years). I save up for this. Its my luxury. Besides I need to for work. My commute is 40 miles each way and I need a reliable car and one that wont get pulled by a copper every five minutes ( they do pull old cars for nothing!)

If the main driver (you) gets a new car that may mean that the second driver can drive the existing car more. That may mean that more miles are done by a higher risk driver.

I am the main driver of this car. The insurance is in my name. I dont have my name on any other insurance. My OH has a van in his name. I dont drive it. He is listed as my spouse to drive the new car. He was listed to drive the last one ( and all previous ones) so I didnt make any significant alteration other than update the car for a new one.

Reply to
sweetheart

I've found a few minutes on a comparative website works for me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Depends on your requirements. If they're fairly vanilla, then yes. As soon as you start to get away from those vanilla requirements, then they're hopeless.

Reply to
Adrian

If you can find a good local insurance broken then these can be very good. I never stay with one company for more than a year since they /always/ hike their prices. IME brokers can haggle on your behalf and be even cheaper than online quotes.

I wouldn't touch DL with a bargepole. They have one of the "best" claim avoidance departments I have experienced.

Reply to
Mark

100% correct. I have yet to find one of the web or telephone based insurers that can even find my Land rover on their database let alone give me a sensible quote. NFU on the other hand charged me £84 last renewal having insured the vehicle for the last 14 years. Not all NFU offices are equal though, I find the Cambridge office very obliging and reverted to them after trying the local branch when we first moved North.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I drive older cars, and haven't found that to be the case.

(sadly retired the 18yo, now on a 10yo)

Reply to
Clive George

Is my SD1 vanilla? I'm not too worried about so called agreed value of the classic policies - too many restrictions for my liking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Clive George gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nor I - newest car in the fleet 21yo.

Reply to
Adrian

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Good luck if ever you have to claim, then. You'll need it. You're probably also paying a lot more than you could be.

FWIW, there's plenty of unlimited mileage, non-agreed value classic policies.

Reply to
Adrian

No, in DL's case it's because they are just too uncompetitive.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

When I reached the age of 65, Direct Line (who I'd been with for 15+ years) more than doubled my premium. I moved to Saga and every renewal time they have matched the lowest quote I can find on the web. One year I paid £57!

Reply to
Bob Martin

But in a few minutes you can 'earn' more than £100.

Set up a TopCashBack account (it's free and using

will get you there and will earn me a referral fee). Use the TopCashBack account to go to CoCompare to get quotes. You'll get £1.75 cashback from TopCashBack for checking through them.

Then, using a *different browser, or clearing cookies in the one you just used* go to TopCashBack and find the insurance company you want to use. Use the TopCashBack link to the insurance company to go and buy the insurance.

Note: it may be worthwhile having a look at the TopCashBack commission rates for the three or so cheapest/most appropriate companies as cashback can vary. We got £58 cashback on each of our two car policies last time.

It's also worthwhile getting a fresh online quote from the company you're currently with. Our next renewal is £230. The same insurance company has it at £156 for a fresh policy and TopCashBack will reduce that by £50. I'll leave the car in the garage for a day to let the existing policy lapse and then take out new online.

I realise the above may not suit everyone, but it will suit a lot...

And thereby commit an offence. Not that you may care. Or the DVLA/MID notice...

Reply to
Huge