O/T: Warm Enough

How about those who think the Earth's population should be lower? How about those who think government, or the UN, should do something about it?

Reply to
krw

Mike, are you saying that the oceans aren't getting more acidic? Or that there is no such thing as acid rain? Or that both situations exist but CO2 isn't the cause?

Please be more specific.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Higher temperatures? We were talking about acid rain and ocean acidification. What are your opinions on those subjects?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

If you don't think the EPA and NOAA are political entities, please read at least more about them. It won't be long before you start to see their politicization. These two have to be the most politicized agencies in the entire US gov't, short of CONgress, Han.

Yeah, mercury and dioxin don't digest well. Agreed. But try their silly agenda against silicone implants, asbestos, lead, and a dozen or three other items if you want to see something gone waaaay overboard. Now that they've banned CO2, they'll start procedures to do away with that other fatal product in life: sunlight.

-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm saying there are plenty of scientists who are much smarter than me, who don't have a horse in the race, who say man caused global warming is a bunch of bullshit and I agree with them. The whole "industry" is rife with corruption, has very questionable "science" to it, and is, in a nut shell, a giant chicken little that is costing us billions of dollars for nothing.

Again, in 20 years when we're all laughing at this nonsense like we will about the Mayan apocalypse a year from now, I hope you have a sense of humor about it and I hope the charlatans who masterminded this corrupts industry get jail time like the bankers who ripped us off.

Reply to
-MIKE-

An air conditioner uses a small amount of energy to move a much larger amount of heat from one place to another. It's not so farfetched to think that human activites have an effect on climate.

Reply to
Larry W

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Silicone implants appear to have had a rather bad reputation, due to faulty manufacture, ingredients and/or surgical technique. They were appropriately banned. Now there are better techniques and production, perhaps they should be allowed again. The problem is/was that approval for medical devices was/is much easier to obtain than that for drugs.

There is asbestos and asbestos. The kind that is easily friable and airborn AND contains the really long needle-like crystals is the kind you might very easily get cancer from (I could go into more biochemical details). All other kinds (if any) are fine.

Lead is toxic as the divalent cation (it mimics calcium, but does not have the necessary properties to be a good substitute).

And, mercury as the fluid metal is fine. Just don't get too much as an organic compound. I never understood why some people recognized the hazrds of mercury, and still used mercurochrome insteaad of iodine tincture.

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Going by memory, which isn't what it was some decades ago, but anyway. Some socalled scientists say it is more than a local problem. They have data to show that some kinds of coral when put in water with more CO2, i.e. slightly more acidic, die off. Apparently not all corals, but an significant fraction. I haven't re-read things, but a google for "coral die-off co2" gives lots of hits. I'm not really fluent in those sciences, so please, be my guest and do the hard research for me .

Reply to
Han

Maybe you changed the subject, but the topic was AGW. If you don't believe me, perhaps you could read at least the subject line? OTOH, maybe you can't.

Reply to
krw

Where are the compressor and the expansion coils in the atmosphere? Like all religions, you *assume* something exists then go about "proving" it with whatever data you can fit to your hypothesis.

Reply to
krw

Hell, I'm already doing that now. Some of the thought processes include thinking about how I can initiate some physical contact with some of those hotties. And, I suspect the nurses already know what we're thinking.

Assuming I'm still alive in twenty years, I'm wondering if I'll still be thinking the same thoughts. I'll defer the answer to that question to some of you older guys.

But, I guess I can answer that one too. I still feel eighteen inside, the body just doesn't agree with that viewpoint. I'm betting that never changes.

Reply to
Dave

You're concerned about mercury in the air? Really?

Reply to
Just Wondering

Oh, you'll still be thinking those thoughts. But, for the first time in your life, you will begin to think that (on a case by case basis, of course) it may not be worth the bother. :)

Reply to
Swingman

It's all about what you're used to.

Snow in Houston is a source of much amusement: Schools and businesses shut down, the freeways are closed, citizens stock up on strawberry PopTarts and beer, church pews get crowded, families gather in the den and proclaim how much they love each other...

Conversely, when a hurricane enters the Gulf, visitors from northern climes look down and say "Feet! Make tracks!" while natives universally exclaim: "Party Time!"

Until you've seen a metal trash can (lawn chair, dog, etc.) sailing down the street at 70 miles per hour...

Reply to
HeyBub

Bob Martin

Just Wondering wrote in news:4ff3ed0f$0$14761$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

Just in case you didn't know, mercury emissions from powerplants were the subject of a fight by the power companies. They didn't want to reduce them as the EPA had ordered. Mercury volatilized in this manner is apparently a problem: "Ms. Jackson said that mercury and the other emissions covered by the rule damaged the nervous systems of fetuses and children, aggravated asthma and caused lifelong health damage for hundreds of thousands of Americans. "

Han

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:72589$4ff42d19$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Thanks, Mike! But I think others have said that too. Just google "progress in accuracy of weather forecasts"

Reply to
Han

Hell, that's no different than Alabama and snow is a lot more common (once or twice a year for the last three). In AL, they shut down on the forecast of snow. It's no wonder, seeing how people drive when it gets just a little slick.

You betcha! I'm a few hundred miles inland, though if I were on the coast I'd be gone.

I've seen that in Yankeeland. The recent storms in the Midwest to DC had that sort of action.

Reply to
krw

Show me cites where they actually proved the silicone implants to be bad, not just people claiming it.

90% of all asbestos ever mined was the gentle kind, non-crocidolite. The only way to get asbestosis or mesothelioma is to have worked in a dusty asbestos plant--with no respirator for decades.

Why fine property owners for poor parenting?

I use Triple Antibiotic cream, tea tree oil, or lavender essential oil.

-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Reply to
Larry Jaques

exposure to mercury.

Reply to