O/T: Warm Enough

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Al Gore was a politician. EPA and NOAA are in a different business. Their predictions don't always pan out, but generally, I'd like less mercury in my air, not more.

Reply to
Han

Swingman wrote in news:N4GdnT0XfY9qrW7SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

+1 on that last one, on either side ...
Reply to
Han

Doug Miller wrote in news:XnsA0858A3C5655dougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100:

True. But, removal of CO2 from the blood through our breathing is what keeps the pH of our blood at the right level. Just a bit either way, and you're in trouble. Obviously, atmospheric CO2 won't any time soon cause problems, but apparently changes in pH and temprature are doing damage to some coral formations.

Reply to
Han

In 20 years when this is all proven to be bullshit and Al Gore is (more of) a laughing stock and possibly facing criminal charged for defrauding the American public (and world) out of billions in tax dollars to fund government mandated policies to deal with this myth, I hope you have a good sense of humor about it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

There is a credible theory (not proof) that the recent milder winters, allows the bark beetle larvae to survive in greater numbers over the winter. Then the trees, stressed by drought, are more susceptible to damage from the beetles than they normally would be.

Presumably the milder winters are a result of global warming due to greenhouse gases. However in this forum the "due to" part isn't likely to be accepted. So be it.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Swingman wrote in news:ldGdnc9Q3vnF127SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Agreed! Moreover, it is amazing how much more accurate short term weather forecasts are then even a few years ago (now good, most of the time for 4-5 days). Even long-term forecasts (winterstorms) were pretty good last winter. Can't be due to only faster bigger computers, but must also be because of better models.

Reply to
Han

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:41:21 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You really like playing the asshole don't you?

Since we were talking about making mistakes and paying for it, do me a favour and drive your car off a cliff will you? It would be most fitting.

Reply to
Dave

Everyone in politics has a political agenda. That doesn't for one second mean that their agenda is the wrong direction.

Now admittedly, as far as I'm concerned, all politicians are professional liars, but that's just part of the job.

Reply to
Dave

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:58:07 -0500, -MIKE-

In 20 years, I expect to be long dead, so I won't be laughing at much. And if I am still alive, I don't expect I'll be laughing at very much either. So, NO, I won't have a good sense of humour about it.

Reply to
Dave

+10

Those that believe we should limit CO2 should stop breathing, buyng soda's, using dry ice, and driving cars.

Reply to
Leon

As do the divers nosing around those corals. )ops I broke a piece off, must be the CO2 that made it weak. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

How does one suppress lightning strikes?

Reply to
Leon

This statement shows astounding ignorance about the carbon cycle and the reasons that CO2 has risen from 230ppm to 400ppm in the last century and a half. I'll give you a hint - the CO2 you exhale is not CO2 that has been sequestered for millions of years in geologic coal or oil formations. Same applies to cow farts.

So long as the system is in equilibrium, i.e. no carbon is being added to the system, the CO2 fraction in the atmosphere won't change, no matter how many people exhale, since the carbon they're exhaling was recently (within a year or two) in the atmosphere (taken up by plants, fed to cows, and eaten as hamburgers, then exhaled).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Idiot. He said supression of natural fires. That means putting them out, not stopping them from occuring in the first place (although Smokey has had some impact there, too).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If "this statement shows astounding ignorance bla bla bla, why did you mention it at all? Starting a statement with "this statement show astounding ignorance" is not too smart if you want some one to take it seriously.

OTOH

Did you reeeeeeeally think I was serious. Your are quite gullible.

Reply to
Leon

+1

:)

Reply to
Swingman

Scott, you are just too easy.... you take all of the bait I throw out there. Leave some for some one else. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Locally. Any evidence of a global problem?

Reply to
krw

First one word sentence in rebuttal is a sure sign that posters previous argument carried little or no force. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

You don't have much of a sense of humor now. Are you dead?

Reply to
krw