Under patio heating

What is the panel's opinion on using electric under floor heating like screwfix sell for conservatories under my shortly to be installed brick patio?
The running costs are not an issue as such, but is there any definite reason not to use this system?
mrcheerful
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:41:28 GMT, in uk.d-i-y "MrCheerful"

I would have thought that the bricks would be too thick to radiate any useful sort of heat through and the thermal properties of the sand\soil underneath would be such that all the heat would be used to warm this up. Why would you want underfloor heating on a patio?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Why do you want to heat your patio? I can only think of snow clearing...

Lucky you!

Reasoning is that if you are outside with warm feet you can stand the temperature of the rest of you better, also it would dry off quickly after rain, which would be a big advantage for us as we have dogs that run in and out with wet paws.
During the summer the sun warms the bricks and after sundown they let the heat go again and feel warm and pleasant for a while, if that was prolonged by electric heating that would be quite an advantage, I think.
mrcheerful
MrCheerful wrote:

Nothing wrong with it, but do lay insulation underneath. I'd be tempted to go hot water tho. Cheaper and more robust and safer out doors.

clearing...
after
and
the
prolonged
Now, that idea I like. the initial costs are far lower too, I would have to put anti freeze in, but that would be ok I would guess, no danger of overheating elements, even if it fails there is just a leak, screwfix sell the pipe too !
thanks, I was hung up on electric after seeing some installed indoors.
MrCheerful
MrCheerful wrote:

The pipe can take exteme pressure. Mine was tested to 10 bar and teh scred laid at 4 bar. I doubt if freezng would be a problem - if encased in concrete.
But be aware it takes several hours to get warm, irrespective of what you use.
The thermal mass of a slab of concrete is considerable.
Which is why most outdoor gheating is of the hot air blow variety.
By the time you notice its a bit chilly, you are already too late by a few hours to switch it on...
In summer, the slab will pick up heat anyway from the sun, and stay warm into the night. Especially if insulated.

Might be worth investigating the heating systems used under Premiership football pitches.
sPoNiX

after
and
prolonged
They use hot water/glycol.

reason
Now I've heard everything!
Mary

reason
Water ingress.
MrCheerful wrote:

I wouldn't use leccy on an outdoor system unless it was LV.
Bound to get damp.

irresponsible
yes.
Regards, NT

seconded!

brick
Have you smashed any looms recently, or burned any witches? Is it the green issue? Global warming? Why is it irresponsible to have an idea to improve my comfort? This is 2004 , not the middle ages. Perhaps we should all go back to living in primitive conditions without any mod cons? Certainly no computers, they are very environmentally unfriendly. I like my comfort and convenience, and I use heating and cooling as appropriate for my comfort. I have decided to go for the heated liquid in tube option with a boiler. If I find that it gives no noticeable benefit then I will not use it, all I will have really wasted is the cost of the tube and a little extra time (the other bits are recoverable/ free anyway)
MrCheerful

like
2004
That is right, 2004. We know more about energy and wastage now. If you want external heating get a purpose made LPG umbrella heater. It heats people directly. If I wanted a little more heat on a patio I would insulate under and have no heating. The heat stored in the thermal mass durning the day will be given back off. The patio would have to be covered when the sun goes in to retain heat given off and south facing to absorb sun all day.
< snip >

I still have a problem with patio heaters... Seems to me people are not happy with global warming as it is, and want to heat the place directly! Why not just wear a jumper? Or if it is to cold to be outside, why not be controversial and go inside?!?
Although I must say, I do like air conditioning, which is very bad indeed....

the
sun
writes

Bloody hell ...
In total agreement with IMM here
--
geoff

insulate
the
sun
Gosh! I never thought it would happen Maxie. You are learning at last. Keep up the good work.
writes

No, you just got it right for once
--
geoff