Under patio heating

What is the panel's opinion on using electric under floor heating like screwfix sell for conservatories under my shortly to be installed brick patio?

The running costs are not an issue as such, but is there any definite reason not to use this system?

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:41:28 GMT, in uk.d-i-y "MrCheerful" strung together this:

I would have thought that the bricks would be too thick to radiate any useful sort of heat through and the thermal properties of the sand\soil underneath would be such that all the heat would be used to warm this up. Why would you want underfloor heating on a patio?

Reply to
Lurch

Why do you want to heat your patio? I can only think of snow clearing...

Lucky you!

Reply to
Scott Mills

Reasoning is that if you are outside with warm feet you can stand the temperature of the rest of you better, also it would dry off quickly after rain, which would be a big advantage for us as we have dogs that run in and out with wet paws.

During the summer the sun warms the bricks and after sundown they let the heat go again and feel warm and pleasant for a while, if that was prolonged by electric heating that would be quite an advantage, I think.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Now I've heard everything!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Water ingress.

Reply to
IMM

I wouldn't use leccy on an outdoor system unless it was LV.

Bound to get damp.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing wrong with it, but do lay insulation underneath. I'd be tempted to go hot water tho. Cheaper and more robust and safer out doors.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

clearing...

Now, that idea I like. the initial costs are far lower too, I would have to put anti freeze in, but that would be ok I would guess, no danger of overheating elements, even if it fails there is just a leak, screwfix sell the pipe too !

thanks, I was hung up on electric after seeing some installed indoors.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

The pipe can take exteme pressure. Mine was tested to 10 bar and teh scred laid at 4 bar. I doubt if freezng would be a problem - if encased in concrete.

But be aware it takes several hours to get warm, irrespective of what you use.

The thermal mass of a slab of concrete is considerable.

Which is why most outdoor gheating is of the hot air blow variety.

By the time you notice its a bit chilly, you are already too late by a few hours to switch it on...

In summer, the slab will pick up heat anyway from the sun, and stay warm into the night. Especially if insulated.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Might be worth investigating the heating systems used under Premiership football pitches.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

They use hot water/glycol.

Reply to
IMM

irresponsible

yes.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

seconded!

Reply to
IMM

Have you smashed any looms recently, or burned any witches? Is it the green issue? Global warming? Why is it irresponsible to have an idea to improve my comfort? This is 2004 , not the middle ages. Perhaps we should all go back to living in primitive conditions without any mod cons? Certainly no computers, they are very environmentally unfriendly. I like my comfort and convenience, and I use heating and cooling as appropriate for my comfort. I have decided to go for the heated liquid in tube option with a boiler. If I find that it gives no noticeable benefit then I will not use it, all I will have really wasted is the cost of the tube and a little extra time (the other bits are recoverable/ free anyway)

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

That is right, 2004. We know more about energy and wastage now. If you want external heating get a purpose made LPG umbrella heater. It heats people directly. If I wanted a little more heat on a patio I would insulate under and have no heating. The heat stored in the thermal mass durning the day will be given back off. The patio would have to be covered when the sun goes in to retain heat given off and south facing to absorb sun all day.

< snip >
Reply to
IMM

What a very silly comment.

Yes.

Yes, and we have far more efficient clothing which you could wear if you need to be on your patio in cold weather.

Does the era make a difference to irresponsibility?

People in the past have been irresponsible in their selfish attitude to the planet - and to their heirs - for the sake of their 'comfort. In 2004 we have learned a lot about the damage we do and should know better. In 2004 we have no excuse.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I still have a problem with patio heaters... Seems to me people are not happy with global warming as it is, and want to heat the place directly! Why not just wear a jumper? Or if it is to cold to be outside, why not be controversial and go inside?!?

Although I must say, I do like air conditioning, which is very bad indeed....

Reply to
Scott Mills

"who care's about the wahles, who cares about the trees, ain't runnin outta nuthin in My Deep Freeze!"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no, dont think so.

thats one of the issues yes.

because it is a complete waste of your own resources when Im sure you could do something genuinely useful with them, and because it is contributing pointlessly to the problems the world is facing today, problems most of us are making real effort to improve.

indeed. That doesnt support your case much.

why?

theyre one of the most enviro friendly inventions we have yet seen. Their use dramatically improves efficiency of labour, materials and energy use.

patio heating wont improve your comfort any. Good luck.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton