Under patio heating

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "G&M" saying something like:

Who said I wanted to prevent it? I'm all for it - got me a lovely tan last summer and the skin cancer's cleared up great. The frostbitten toes will grow back, my GP assures me, after he's done some more work on his newt experiments.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

To the positive. Money circulating is better than money laying in banks where is doe sweet nothing.

Reply to
IMM

It isn't OK at all.

What warped logic. So the mass of the lower section of the economic ladder are financially penalised, taking more into energy poverty, because some with lots of money waste energy and pollute.

Reply to
IMM

What is this tome? And here is a man who built a new house with single glazing.

Reply to
IMM

So do I.

It will be their children's and grandchildren's though. Or perhaps they don't have offspring so that doesn't matter? Other people's children, the rest of the created world, isn't important to the me-me-now-now way of thinking.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary, Thatcher's children. The tiny minded ones who took notice of her off-beat ramblings. She said "there is no such thing as society". We are living with that attitude right now which is ingrained in a whole generation. Note that the real greenies tend to be older people. You see them on TV with their Barbour jackets confronting the police over woods being destroyed and the likes.

Reply to
IMM

Not really. Just pragmatic.

To deal with this issue there are three ways, educate, legislate or influence economically.

Education is important anyway if you are going to try the other two

Legislation in excess, as the current government is learning, becomes a vote loser. In this case, somewhat ineffective as well. How would you prevent people from wasting energy by legislation? Have a law against putting heating under patios or opening windows?

Increasing the price is almost always the way that works most effectively and quickly on an issue like this. It's then very simple to compensate those on the lower rungs of the economic ladder as is already done. THe usual robbing from the rich and giving to the poor, but effective nonetheless.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

As millions die of hypothermia. My GOD! What warped logic. What self centeredness.

- Have housing, new and renovated at superinsulation levels. Adopt the German Passiv Solar regs.

- Legislate that cars are to be cleaner and more economic, ridding ourselves of the 19th century technology we drive around on.

- Better town planning, preventing over use of cars and more homely and to people scale environments.

- etc

You don't need to be that bright to see what can be done to improve matters for everyone.

You can't put heating in conservatories. They are supposed to be unheated rooms. Millions do and add to global warming. Many find that 1/3 of their heating bill is heating a glass uninsulated box at the back of the house. This is unacceptable.

Reply to
IMM

Not really - just pragmatism.

Limited applicability to existing housing stock

Already being done. Will only be effective as economic measures influence decisions - not pure legislation

At the point that public transport is worthwhile, people will use it. At present, it is inconvenient, expensive and time consuming to use, is generally filthy and smelly.

Exactly. But legislation alone won't achieve it. People make decisions primarily based on economic and convenience criteria.

Yes you can. It's quite easy really.

Says who?

That depends on location, construction and design.

That isn't for you to decide.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

So millions of people should die of hypothermia in a very country because of self centeredness and half baked political ideals.

Will make effect in time. We are short of 4 million homes, if all were German passiv...

Prey tell. Where?

My God, he can think.

The private sector has not, so legislation it will have to be.

So legislation is needed to make sure what they buy conforms.

You are not supposed to. If you build a new conservatory and the building inspector gets to know there is heating in there you are in trouble. Try and get a conservatory company to install heating in.

The regs.

Has anyone made a conservator that is well insulated? A glass box cannot be well insulated no matter how hard you try.

It is, and many millions more think the same way too.

Reply to
IMM

I didn't say that at all.

I was simply making the point that economics is a far more effective tool than legislation.

I am not opposed to energy saving in a sensible way at all. I am opposed to ineffective legislation that is simply done for political positioning and window dressing, having no basis in practicality and enforceability and which is out of context with other issues and methods.

Well they're not.

Road tax based on ecological factors

I don't expect public transport to be worthwhile in less than geological time, however.

It is ompletely pointless to legislate if there is no way to enforce the legislation unless one is simply window dressing. This is not a public/private sector issue anyway.

There is already more than enough of that. It can easily be demonstrated that if something is desirable enough, people will find a way around the legislation.

Who said?

Rubbish. As far as I am aware, the only requirements as long as the conservatory is otherwise exempted from building regulations are to have glass that is conformant with the safety requirements and to have separate control for any heating. Exemption does require a thermal separation from the house as though the divide is to the outside.

No need, it's an easy DIY job.

Which "regs". Where? Please provide the reference in the appropriate Statutory Instrument.

That's a matter of degree. One can specify the glazing to a level equivalent to that of windows in the house - i.e. low emissivity and gas filled.

You may think that you are in charge of other people's lives, but the notion is delusory.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ther are millions of people who don';t have enough water. I suggest you personally find them and piss on their heads if ou feel that is teh way to slove their problems.

My god, think of all those people in the deserts dying of heatstroke whilst eskimos wantonly smash up ice. Criminal.

Or all those people throwing away meat becuase its a day past 'sell by' with all those starving ethiopians!

Or all those people watching reality TV when millions of Chinese can't even watch the Simpsons!

IMM, do you know that somewhere in the world, a woman is having a baby every 30 seconds?

I think you should go and stop her.

Before its too late.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

< snip drivel >
Reply to
IMM

You DID!

Soemtimes. In other situations it is not.

Well what are you on about then?

Go away..

I see no measures to improve the efficiency of vehicles.

Car makers can easily be legislated. House building can be easily legislated. Boier are to be 86% in ayears time - legislation.

There isn't as we are choking ourselves and running out of fossil fuel.

Poinless comment.

Go to the council and ask about conservatories and heating in them.

I repeat: "A glass box cannot be well insulated no matter how hard you try."

I do think, or want, to be in charge of others lives. I don't other people's lives effecting me, and us, and the future generations.

Reply to
IMM

How would you know?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No change there then

Reply to
Nick Brooks

I Know what I said..... You created the conclusion.

I explained that quite clearly in the material that you snipped.

That does indirectly since manufacturers design cars to meet income tax and road tax cost breakpoints.

Appliances can be easily. New house building can be to a point. Additions and changes to existing properties are much harder to control via legislation unless you plan to employ a whole load of eco-inspectors going door to door with power of entry.

I don't somehow see that going down too well.

Everything is relative. Economic measures will have an impact on that far more quickly than can be achieved by mountains of legislation that is unenforcable.

So why did you make it?

No. You tell me where, in law, or even in Approved Documents (which remember are a guideline on *one* or a few ways to do things and do not have force of law) this is stated.

That depends on your definition of "well". Personally I prefer to see out and to be able to breathe fresh air when I want - not to sit in a hermetically sealed box.

More confused meander....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know, most of your comments are pointless.

Reply to
IMM

I recently went on a bus, a train and the London Underground.

On a brand new train, the seats are ripped, there's graffiti on the walls and there are bogies parked on the backs of the seats.

It would take two buses running at infrequent and erratic times to go to the next town with a time of nearly an hour. Why would I want to do that when I can be there in ten minutes in the car when I want to go?

In a Sunday supplement not long ago, there was an article about the world's metropolitan underground railways.

The Moscow metro was described as "Trains let loose in a subterranean winter palace"

The Tube was described as "Trains let loose in a public toilet".

That sums it up.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They make cars to make the most profit.

You have a check each time the house is sold. Doe the electricity come up to standard, gas , etc, including the insulation vales, etc. Simple.

I repeat: "There isn't as we are choking ourselves and running out of fossil fuel.

Nowhere near current insulation regs never mind the forthcoming stricter ones.

What the hell are you on about?

Reply to
IMM