kitchen electrics

Two quick questions.

What is the minimum allowable distance from an electrical socket on the wall to a kitchen sink ? And is this to the edge of the sink, to the tap or what ?

Second regards the cooker off switch (why ?). Can this overlap the hob by a centimetre or must it be totally to the side of the hob. I want to replace an old 600mm hob with a 900mm one and of course would rather not move the switch. But because of other work including new drains the BCO will come wandering past.

Thanks

G&M

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:44:37 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "G&M" strung together this:

I don't think there is actually a regulation stating an actual distance but guidelines are 300mm from a draining board and 600mm from a sink edge.

Ideally it want's to be a good couple of inches back at least. I thing you could get away with 10mm overlap though. If it does cause a problem crimp the cables through in the switch and put a blankplate over it and fit a switch in the cupboard below.

Reply to
Lurch

Ah - that explains EXACTLY why the switch in our last place was in the cupboard below. We've wondered why the installers did that. As did the guy who came to replace the failed halogen unit on warranty :-)

Reply to
G&M