DIY Legality

Someone posted the following picture on another newsgroup.
http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen.jpg
(Note the white cable coming out of the LHS of the supply point above the cooker)
Whilst it is obviously potentially unsafe and stupidity to have something like this in a kitchen; has the person who did it broken any regulations?
I suppose if it was the owner of the property who did the wiring, then it would be their own stupid fault if someone gets an electric shock - or would the person who made the connection be liable in anyway?

It doesn't look very conventional which should ring alarm bells, but without knowing a lot more details about what it's connected to, the size of the load, cable, and circuit protection (fuses/MCB), and when it was connected up, it's impossible to say.
A white cable running diagonally across the surface of the wall is not by itself a contravention of anything beyond bad taste.

Yes, if they did it incorrectly.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Judith wrote:

It's a bloody disgrace.
There is no HP sauce.
--
Adam

On 31/12/2011 12:15 ARWadsworth wrote:

AND... there's Marmite!!

On 31/12/2011 12:15, ARWadsworth wrote:

What a shit hole.

That seems to me rather harsh - especially as there's a bar of Lindt with sea salt on offer. And the floor doesn't look bad to me for a kitchen which has been used rather than prepared for a show home. But then perhaps my standards are as low as my expectations.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid
Robin wrote:

My kitchen worktop usually has a cat asleep on it!
--
Adam

Paws for thought

Simon needs more cupboards.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
On 31/12/2011 12:39, Terry wrote:

Misty grey tiles - must have been done in the 90's. What colour is the bathroom suite ?.
Andrew
Cycling group added as the owner of this kitchen frequents that group
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 31/12/2011 12:39, Terry wrote:

Misty grey tiles - must have been done in the 90's. What colour is the bathroom suite ?.
MFI/Hygena cupboards too. I had the same ones in the early 1990's Even the knobs are the same.
David Kemper
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 20:36:27 -0000, "David Kemper"

Is the bicycle relevant?
--
Frank Erskine

Very.
MBQ
ARWadsworth wrote:

The selection of goods on display shows that the people living there are a bit snobbish. E.g. Ginseng extract - pah!

No, your reaction shows *you* are a bit snobbish. Like drivel.
--
Tim

Tim Streater wrote:

I prefer a box of Drivel 75mg to a box of Korean Ginseng 75mg from Sainsbury's.
HTH.

Not really. I neither know nor care that ginseng is or who uses it. Unlike drivel I am not driven by hatred or envy.
--
Tim

Tim Streater wrote:

Where have I said that I was?

Are you Drivel?
--
Tim

Tim Streater wrote:

[... have to cut this or else the ns complains about too many lines...]

Yes I'm Drivel and not driven by hatred or envy.