DIY Legality

[1]

You need to be aware that this is part of a long running hate campaign by 'Judith' against the person who owns the kitchen. 'She' has already written to his Employers comlaining about his use of the works computer to post usenet messages during working time, and this seems to be the latest ruse to cause him trouble. Apparently he has extended his kitchen, and 'she' is trying to get any excuse to report him to the local council re: building regs non-conformities.

(I'm not taking sides, they are as bad as each other, but taking usenet grievances beyond usenet is going way too far)

Alan.

[1] The local Council are completely uninterested in electrical installations if not part of a new build or extension, or other such improvement via Building Control. They are only forced into action if there is a injury, and the householder complains to them.
Reply to
A.Lee

Given the use of multiway adapters I would expect to find the flex feeds the two way socket and is plugged into somewhere else. I see no reason to think it goes to an appliance.

Reply to
dennis

Ah diversity! When I took C+G 236 I was told that the wall could be used as a heat sink for the cable in such circumstances.

Reply to
Jim

It looks like it might be photoshopped.

Reply to
Tony Dragon

Judith,

Without wishing to get into any sort of scrap here, surely what the owner does within the bounds of his or her property really has sod-all to do with you?

Also, I would be very sure that the likely hood of you picking up some "dog shit" on your shoes when walking and carrying into your kitchen would be just as high - and "not something to bring into the kitchen" either. But there we are, the world would be a dull place if we were all perfect!

Happy new year - and think about the next new years resolution you make... ;-)

Cash - who's now just about mad enough at such nosiness, to go and a make a dent in the old Jack Daniel's just to cool down.

Reply to
Cash

It depends on a few things.

If it was done recently (I can't remember for sure, but I *think* the new rules came in in 2006), then it is automatically illegal unless done by or inspected and certified by a qualified electrician.

DIY electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms is now illegal unless certified (and since most certified electricians would charge as much to certify your work as to do it themselves, there isn't much point in DIY followed by certification).

Even if it was done longer ago, if that white cable is powering the cooker, rather than being the input for the socket, then it would be illegal because cookers like that *must* be powered from a proper cooker socket with 6mm wiring, and *must* have a single switch on the wall which can turn off the whole cooker.

Reply to
Alex Heney

I don't think any of that lot is stored there. It appears to have been collected together just for the photo.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Perhaps that is intended to be a "how not to" for one of those then :)

Reply to
Alex Heney

Always nice to hear about a pimp that looks after his girls.

8¬)
Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Not likely.

Those usually have a fairly obvious handle at the front, while the lip in that one curves the wrong way, so there is no obvious and easy way to grip it to lift.

It looks much more like a ceramic hob to me.

Reply to
Alex Heney

While it could be, it seems more likely that is the cable from the white plug in the right hand socket.

While there is no accounting for stupidity, it would take a serious quantity of it to hard wire in a cable that ended in a plug.

Reply to
Alex Heney

This is between Judith and another uk.rec.cycling poster. Anything goes really, they are both as barking as each other.

I certainly wouldn't allow Judith in my kitchen.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

She can't help herself and I doubt anyone else can at this stage.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Many thanks - always nice to get an informative answer from someone who knows rather than a straight "no" from a f****it - which may or may not even be correct - as some would respond.

Reply to
Judith

Perhaps it *is* the bedroom with what is called "en-suite" in Hull.

Reply to
Judith

Bollocks - it is a sensible question to appropriate groups; as indeed the various responses have shown.

Have you noted that I did not x-post it - and I have not referred to this thread anywhere else?

Having seen what others have said - perhaps *you* would like to give anyone you think would be interested in what has been said here, the heads up.

Reply to
Judith

Sorry - is the following not a sentence: I thought it was?

"It is obviously stupidity to have something like this in a kitchen"

You are obviously an English expert as well as an electrician - my mistake.

I assume that you disagree that it is not at all stupid to wire a cable in to a surface mounted socket like we see here. Any suggestions as to how the cable has been clamped inside the box?

I am sorry I jumped to incorrect conclusion.

Reply to
Judith

Where is here - which group?

I believe that the question asked has d-i-y implications - and I was unsure of the legal implications.

Most people seem to have been happy to address the sort of questions/issues that such wiring raises.

If you have something to say - then just spit it out; but perhaps you have nothing sensible to contribute to the discussions?

Reply to
Judith

Many thanks - just the sort of information I was interested in.

Reply to
Judith

Oh dear - can you provide some evidence of that do you think?

Oh - has he - I have not see that stated anywhere - do you perhaps have a reference.

No of course you are not - that is why you brought it up here.

If I had wanted to, I would have cross-posted the original to the cycling newsgroup - or I would have posted a link to this discussion. Also - I have never ever seen the poster of the photograph post in uk.legal or uk.d-i-y so I was not even posting for him to see the post

I was frankly appalled to see the state of the wiring; however, I was unsure of the safety or legality of such things - to me it just appears to be wrong.

Of course most people (who do not want to take sides) - just got on with discussion - which others seem to have found interesting.

Thanks for your input - any views on the wiring?

Reply to
Judith