DIY Legality

The 4 way adaptor is fused.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Except front doors. Agreed otherwise, although I have difficulty explaining this concept to SWMBO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
Tim Streater

shes probably too busy then ;-)

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Not necessarily.

1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 10 A fuses are /have been at various times available. They even had their own colour codes for the hard of number-recognition.

These days it is usually either a 3 or a 13A fuse.

-- Ian1

Reply to
Ian

Where have I said that I was?

Reply to
johannes

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

That's both incorrect and a non-sequitor. Look up the trip time curve for a 13A fuse. 13A plugs really do get too hot on 20A, some are even borderline at 13A. I've seen several melt when used on 15A appliances.

NT

Reply to
NT

Why not? You could take a photo of "an old bike in a kitchen" and post it on the internet.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorry - I had not realised that you were a bodger - I was hoping to get the view of electricians.

Yes of course - it is clearly not *potentially* unsafe and I was wrong.

Reply to
Judith

Gosh Batman! Surely "Judith" now holds the record for "how to lose all* credibility in uk.d-i-y" :)

*admittedly starting from a very low base but, as with cooling, getting to absoluite zero is usually a struggle
Reply to
Robin

Why do you hate him so much?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Pikey

Reply to
Mr Pounder

And so what if you did? The only part of a "13A" plug and socket combination that is actually rated at 13 amps, is the fuse inside the plug - and that rating itself is only nominal (I return to that point in a moment...). Components inside the socket are rated well in excess of that, bearing in mind that the next circuit breaker in line is rated usually at least 30amps, and the socket must tolerate at least that.

I've run a 3kw kettle plus a 3kw cooker from a fused triple adapter in the past plugged into a single socket in the kitchen, and the only effect was to make the adapter extremely warm (but no more than that) around the fuse holder area. I presume the fuse was prevented from ever blowing either by the fact that the duty cycle of both appliances was somewhat less than 100%, or because a total of 6kw was still below the fusing threshold.

Reply to
Ste

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a 15amp appliance.

Reply to
Ste

That's not a bodge. It's actually a relatively common way of preventing the pull-out of cables, and for a fixed installation such as the one at hand, I expect it would be perfectly acceptable in the sense of presenting no undue danger in itself.

Reply to
Ste

Then why are they called 13 amp plugs?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Extremely warm? Do you mean hot?

Reply to
joe

Are you Drivel?

Reply to
Tim Streater

A double socket is only rated to continuously carry 20A. It will carry more for short periods.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's not a bodge. It's actually a relatively common way of preventing the pull-out of cables, and for a fixed installation such as the one at hand, I expect it would be perfectly acceptable in the sense of presenting no undue danger in itself. =========================================

It's still a bodge. Use a cable gland and do it properly.

Reply to
Mr. Benn