Sliding table gloat!

I think this qualifies for gloat status:

Was shopping at Rockler after Xmas to check out their clearance items. Sliding table : Regular $249, 25% off on clearance. Then I see they have an in-store coupon for an additional 50% off any already clearanced item, so that would be about $93! So I grab the sliding table and when he rings it up: Instead of doing 25% off and then 50% to get $93, he does 75% off the total price instead! Bottom line = Sliding table for $62! And all I came in for was a magnetic wristband, which I forgot because I was too jazzed!

Since they had 2 of them, I called a pal o mine and he ran down and grabbed up the second one, which the dude rung up the same way.

I installed the table and it works very well (especially for that price!). Anyone else have comments about using this table? (Its the same as the Mule sliding table, rebranded for rockler). Woodshopdemos.com had some helpful hints for installing it.

Reply to
rob

Personally, I think you should have stopped the gloat just before you knowly took advantage of someone else's mistake. You already had a good price, bully for you. But I think the GGV (gross gloat value) is reduced for cheating. It's like taking advantage of the widder-women.

Just my $0.02CDN. And yes, before you ask, I have stopped a transactions when I thought the clerk was ringing things through incorrectly (in my favor). Bully for me, I know...

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

I disagree. To me "an additional 50%" added to 25% off = 75% off. Whenever stores take 50% the ORIGINAL price, and 25% off the ORIGINAL price THAT is cheating, not the other way around. I think the way this worked out is exactly how it should happen.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

By that logic, if a store had something on sale for 75% off you had a coupon for an additional 50%, do you think they should pay you 25% to walk off with their stuff?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I would assume that if something was 75% off they would have some sort of clause saying no additional coupons accepted or some such thing. I have bought items at computer stores with instant rebates that made them cost $0 and they included mail in rebates, so they DID essentially pay me to take the stuff home.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Percentages off are handled differently than dollar amounts off. The original poster assumed, as do Frank and I, that the final price would be .75 * .50 * retail price, not retail price - (0.25 * retail price) - (0.5 * retail price). If he had assumed your justification, he wouldn't have come up with an expected price of 93, which he did.

Anyways, you guys live your lives the way you want to, teach your kids the values you want, and I'll do the same. Rockler is probably going to survive, and was probably losing money on the deal regardless. The person at the front counter who can't do math will probably still have his job tomorrow, and the world will continue to turn.

I still think it reduces the GGV, in any case. That's all I'm saying.

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

I understand what you're saying very well. To me it just makes more sense to say "take 50% the already reduced price" rather than "take an additional

50% off". The word additional can mean a lot of things in this context. To me it sounds like "add this new discount to the initial one and then take the discount". Rockler should be smart enough to know to say "already reduced price", IMO. GGV is retained at 100% hehe.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Well, I guess I have more faith in a company like Rockler to properly phrase a sale advertisement than I do in someone reporting a gloat to exactly replicate the sales statement, if you know what I mean. In any case, I thought the OP (who hasn't responded to the slanderous statements being made about him, BTW) was thinking he got an even better deal because the clerk was making a mistake. After re-reading his post, he didn't ever claim that he thought he was getting a an even better deal than he originally though. I assumed that, which was wrong of me. For all I know, he might have thought he made a mistake in the calculation, or that Rockler had a "special" way of calculating it that was different than every other store out there, or whatever.

Rob, where-ever you are, I apologize for thinking that you were additionally gloating about being able to take advantage of someone else's mistake based on your original post. I still have a suspicion that you knew that the clerk was making a mistake, but you didn't say anything, but that's making assumptions that I probably shouldn't. It still seems too close to taking advantage of someone else who doesn't know any better, like the old widder woman selling off her husband's Unisaw for $100. In any case, I probably didn't need to crap on your parade route.

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

I think you should be ashamed of yourself. Instead you brag about it; pathetic.

Reply to
Toller

He says he was charged $62 instead of the $93 he was expecting. He knew the cashier was making a mistake and just took it. That is exactly the same as seeing someone drop money and quickly picking it up before the guy looks around and sees it. In other words, it is stealing.

Reply to
Toller

You walked out of Rock-a-lars with a gloat?

Next you'll be telling us the best meal you ever got in your life was from Denny's.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

From the OP's message:

It says, "clearanced item," not "clearance item's already unbelievably low price."

It is possible the clerk rang it up right: 10% clearance + 50% coupon = 60% discount 25% clearance + 50% coupon = 75% discount 40% clearance + 50% coupon = 90% discount

This may not be the case, but I see nothing in the verbiage that *requires* the 50% discount applies to the discounted price instead of the full price.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

pfft!

Congrats on the gloat!

A "gloat," by it's very definition, is a sly or malicious pleasure - typically at another's expense. With very little effort perusing this newsgroup, you will find many such examples; some entirely innocuous, some a bit more in the gray.

For instance, price matching or percentage cash back is a method by which one vendor tries to gain competitive advantage over another. It is very common practice of the frequenters of this forum to knowingly manipulate this marketing method to their advantage when they know full well that one business or the other will lose out.

We then post that as a "gloat." "Hey everybody, look what I got away with! Look how I rooked the system!"

Saying this lucky fella is "stealing" is a bit much for me. Though can be typical of folks who are filled with a sense of righteous indignation mixed with a false bravado the anonymity of the Internet provides them.

Regards... and congrats! jbd

Reply to
John Dykes

Except universal practice and common sense, which apparently mean nothing to you.

Reply to
Toller

|Next you'll be telling us the best meal you ever got in your |life was from Denny's.

It's possible :-) Read of my experience with an "upscale" Tucson restaurant:

Wes Stewart

I see you're catching from flack for this. I'm more torn - as I think you were the recipient of someone else's mistake, and I personally *might* have asked them to double check their math. Maybe, might-of, don't know.

What bother's me is that buying a DJ-20 for $100 from some guy is considered a real gloat. My notion of what's proper/right/ethical/moral tells me that both actions are improper and taking advantage of someone.

Net/net - as someone else put it - you live by your values and I'll live by mine.

Reply to
mttt

Hmmm... you sound like a guy who never did shift work and got off when the only place open for "dinner" was Chez Waffel. After a few meals involving their infamous LaserCut bacon and only-went-outta-date- yesterday pancake batter, Denny's would be a huge step up the old culinary ladder.

Michael Waffle House. It's not just not for breakfast anymore... :)

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Agreed it's contrary to what usually happens, but I believe I've had sales which were percentage additive. IIRC there was a Hecht's sale like that.

10% off, bring in the 25% coupon from the paper, get 35% off in toto.

The clerk may not have been "Huckleberry Dumbbell" but *could* have been ringing things up as instructed.

It's tough condemning someone before all the *facts* are in.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

friend Jeff. small world. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Frankly given the quality of ths product they should just give it away.. they almost did?

Reply to
MA Lee