Sliding table gloat!

Nope...

No - Lord knows I'm done with this after this thread. And Lord knows I have no idea what the guy was thinking selling a $1300 tool, albeit with a "crack" for a hunnert bux...

Am I my brother's keeper? Yeah, dammit I am...

I wasn't there, but I imagine I might have looked to see if the electrode burn marks were still on his temples, or some other rationale for the price. Was he picking the Orange Cockroaches off his shirt and throwing them on the Pink Elephant???

Maybe, (or maybe I'd like to think that) I'd of asked him "Dude, do you have a frickin' clue what this is worth?" Criminy - had you paid $200, or $500 bux you'd still have a gloat.

Yes, yes, yes. No widow involved. Maybe.

Am I my brother's keeper? Dammit, I'm supposed to be!

Reply to
mttt

Yessir - I did assert/state that. And will dutifully read your clarification of what happened.

Thank you for the clarification. My apologies for the accusation.

Yes! And I've been reading too many "gloat" posts here.

Reply to
mttt

I appreciate the apology and if it makes you feel any better it wasn't that long ago I was in a position that I needed the money so I sold a Rockwell

10" RAS...you remember the kind.... like they don't make anymore.. one my father gave me..... and a Delta 6 inch jointer also given to me by my father.... sold them both for a whopping $250. Do I regret it? You betcha... Do I resent the man for taking advantage of it? Nope....it wasn't his fault I provided him with the opportunity. Could he have been more benevolent and offered me more? Had I made known my situation he might quite possibly have done so...but I didn't. Being thy brother's keeper and being benevolent requires the knowledge of a need. It is impractical to waste benevolence on those who don't need it since it might rob you of the ability when someone actually does. I'm climbing down off my soapbox now..nice soapbox...think I'll post pictures of it to abpw....
Reply to
mel

Sure and you can shave a few dollars off that income tax or coast through that stop sign. The US will continue to exist and your town will still be safe. But that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong. If that's the values you intend to teach your kids well, there's nothing more to say.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
Dennis Vogel

All true. And all the guy had to do was simply ask if the clerk did it right. And he didn't so that speaks volumes to me.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
Dennis Vogel

This is a long thread and you may have missed it. He bought several items and didn't notice it till he got home.

Now, should he call the store up?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

In article , "mttt" wrote: [snip]

[snip]
[snip]

Amen, brother. Good post.

Reply to
Doug Miller

To all my sanctimonious, self-righteous, judgmental "brethren" I pose the following questions. "Am I my brother's keeper?" was a question posed by Cain to God. What was God's answer to that direct question? There wasn't one...

Now, blow the dust off your bible and turn to Matthew 13: 44 and read the parable of the man who found a treasure in the field. He found it then HID IT again...then he went and bought the field... with great joy I might add. This parable was used to illustrate the wisdom of the man...not how he took advantage of the owner of the field.

Now that being said.....forgive me for gloating (boasting) on my actions. I know better.

And finally, as long as we are quoting scripture how about the one that goes "judge not lest ye be judged yourself"?

Reply to
mel

I have a certain respect for a guy that will take it to the opposition of their ground. That said, I'd like to mention that that was a legitimate purchase and yes, Virginia - you do suck:)

Reply to
Eric Ryder

There are no more gloats.

Jon Endres, PE

Please don't. I was *wrong* to accuse/impune!

For the life of me - I don't know what they heck I was thinkin'/drinkin'. I'm old enough to know better. Old enough to know that I probably had a small fraction of the facts! Old enough to know better!

Flat out - frickin' wrong. And I am sorry!

Touche!

Reply to
mttt

Agreed...

Fastow (Enron) in the news, Tyco, Martha Stewart... White collar crime, Club Fed and worse. New parent...

How the heck am I supposed to teach my kids intangibles like empathy and morality? Dammit, I'm sometimes confused by what's "right/moral/ethical/proper"!

Sometimes I read the gloats and wonder how I'd feel if that was my kid posting? Once in a blue moan, I read a gloat and jump in - where I ought'a not be jumpin'... :)

Reply to
mttt

How the heck am I supposed to teach my kids intangibles like empathy and morality?

If you get an easy answer to this let me know...lol....by example is the way my dad taught me and like I've alluded to...it ain't easy.

Reply to
mel

Am I my brother's keeper? Dammit, I'm supposed to be!

Reply to
Brickie