More on Razor Wire

Ok the Ally Gates that the council have put up contain razor wire on the top and no signs to say Beware! so why can they have the right to put it up and not joe bloggs?

Reply to
George

ICBW but I think you can put pretty much what you want around business property.

Reply to
R D S

Asda stores have electrified fences around some of their goods-in compounds.

Reply to
Graham.

George,

From googling the term "razor wire" it would appear that the stuff can be used on domestic properties by "Joe Bloggs" legally. There are a few caveats though:

1 - The owner can be sued by anyone who has been hurt by the stuff - whether it be an innocent person, trespasser or criminal.

2 - Councils can object to it for a number of reasons and order its removal.

3 - If you are a tenant of a property - you can be evicted for using the stuff.

4 - Owners has a 'duty of care' to prevent anyone from being hurt on their property see this:

"Using barbed/razor wire and broken glass in order to stop people getting in to your home is not advisable. You are making yourself liable to civil action as you owe a duty of care to ensure that visitors to your property are reasonably safe. As absurd as it may seem you also owe a lower duty of care to trespassers".

taken from

Brian G

Either you want to put it up or you don't - YOU make your own mind up and do it instead of talking about it. I would have razor wire electrified. Providing it can't be touched by accident and is within your property who is to know apart from a burglar. I wouldn't stick a sign up warning a burglar - if he complained he would find himself in the boot of a car being driven miles away before being dumped. They only understand one language. Are you sure you don't work for the CPS or Probation Service?

Reply to
TKelly

I'm with you all the way, if someone is on my property without permission I should be the one who decides what rights they have.

However the country is f*cked up and if someone harms themselves on your razor wire you will probably end up giving them your hard earned.

Reply to
R D S

Brian G coughed up some electrons that declared:

local plod suggested we added something spiky around the fence tops and the hedge. We did, it worked. Short of electrification, it could safely be said that we went to town on it.

I think, in the more notorious areas, you may find a refreshing disparity between the official line and what the police will actually advise/tolerate.

Not that my estate was fundamentally that notorious, but relative to the rest of south Surrey it was.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

The council have a bottomless pit of taxpayers' money to pay defence lawyers and compensation claims.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Of course the spiky stuff doesn't have to barbed/razor wire, broken glass etc. You have this love of Roses or Gorse or Broom etc etc

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Broom?

Has this got something to do with bushido?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

out of proportion. So, a burglar can sue you for injuries caused by the razor wire. What's the worst injury he's likely to incur? A nasty nick to his little finger. The claim for damages is not going to bankrupt you (and in fact just won't happen).

Short of a concert pianist attempting to rob you and cutting all his fingers off in a freak accident, meaning no earning capacity for the next forty years, I think you can forget compensation claims for razor- wire injuries.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

OK, I take it back, TKelly, isn't getting occupiers' liability out of proportion, he's just a nutter.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

What are "Ally Gates"?

Are you in Belfast or similar?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

There speaks someone who has not had a close encounter with razor wire. Unlike barbed wire razor wire is designed to slice and cut so how about a nasty nick to the artery in his wrist?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Steel gates that the council put on all back entrys

No,its a nationwide thing.

Reply to
George

Ahhh, Alley gates rather than Ali (Aluminium) gates. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Well regardless of the 'E' being left out a googly would have revealed what they were even with the mispelt name. :-) Anyway say the words "alley gates" and people instinctivly know what they are

Reply to
George

I thought he meant alloy gates - just goes to disprove the text- message generation who think spelling doesn't matter!

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Me too.

Of course it matters.

Reply to
Huge

Feel free to emigrate to a country that suits you better, human rights wise. But don't be surprised when your idea of *your* rights and those of that country don't coincide.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)